Samsung has launched its next generation of flagship Samsung Galaxy S 3 smartphone that is powered by a powerful 1.4 GHz Quad core processor and features a 4.8-inch super AMOLED HD display running Android 4.0.4 ICS operating system.
Measuring 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6mm, the Galaxy S 3 is powered by a quad core 1.4 GHz 32nm ARM Cortex A9 processor with Exynos 4212 Quad chipset and includes 1GB RAM, 8/16/32GB internal storage and microSD card slot allowing up to 32GB expandable storage.
Running latest Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system with Samsung’s TouchWiz 4.0 touchscreen interface, the Galaxy SIII features a large 4.8-inch 16 million color HD 720 x 1280 pixel resolution super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen display powered by a powerful Mali-400MP quad GPU protected with Gorilla glass for protection from scratches.
The Galaxy SIII is unbelievable thin at mere 8.6 mm thickness and weighs just 133 grams. According to Samsung, its more rounded shape and premium finish in pebble blue or marble white colors is design inspired by nature.
The Galaxy SIII includes 8 megapixel rear-facing camera that is capable of recording full HD 1080p video at 30fps and features face detection, auto and touch focus, built-in image stabilizer and offers 20-shots burst mode still picture capture.In addition there is also a front-facing 1.9 megapixel camera for video calling. The rear-facing 8MP camera also offers voice-activated picture capture feature and a special burst shooting mode that takes 3.3 frames per second up to 20 frames in quick succession and even presents the best one.
For connectivity, Galaxy S3 offers GPRS/EDGE, WiFi 802.11b/g/N with Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0 with HS, 3G HSDPA 21 Mbps, 3G HSUPA 5.76 Mbps, 4G, microUSB port, and GPS with A-GPS support. In addition, the smartphone also includes FM radio, NFC, 3.5mm audio out port, and TV-out port connection.
There are few smartphone firsts in the Galaxy S 3 handset that would most likely become new standards in future smartphones. These unique features are:
- Smart Stay function – that keeps the phone screen alive as long as user is looking at the screen making screen timeout somewhat obsolete.
- Direct Call – Galaxy SIII immediately start calling the contact a user is looking at no sooner he raises the handset to his ear reducing one step/click in present smartphones.
- Pop up Play feature that can keep HD video playing on the screen while a user is busy on other tasks
- Built-in wireless charging system is another first in smartphone that is available as optional accessory in form of a wireless charging kit that enables users charge their Galaxy SIII handset by just placing it on the charger instead of connecting a cable.
S Voice is a Apple’s SiRi challenging feature in Galaxy S 3 which is a natural language voice recognition system that works with up to eight international languages allowing users control their phone’s various functions. For example, users can say ‘volume up’ to get the phone filter out the noise to enhance sound quality of track being played or say ‘Hello Galaxy’ to gently wake up the phone from screen off mode.
Samsung would also offer a range of accessories along with the Galaxy S 3 phone which includes flip cover, cases, docking stations, a dongle to share video wirelessly to TV screens (S-Beam) and a specially designed companion MP3 player etc.
Already receiving glowing reviews on tech blogs around the world, Galaxy SIII is being praised for its improved UI and several first in smartphone features.
“this is a good-looking phone, with an impressive high definition Super AMOLED screen and a processor that looks likely to spar for top spot among Android devices,” but complained it lacked stand-out design and “wow-factor hardware.” – Engadget
According to Ars Technica – “a conservative evolution of the Galaxy S II,” and added “It’s just a pity that for all the innovation on the inside, and all the work that Samsung has done on the software, the whole thing is wrapped up in a package that’s so mediocre. Flagship phones deserve better than flimsy plastic.”
“The Samsung Galaxy S3 has got all the hallmarks of the best Android phone yet – exactly what Samsung wanted to achieve.” – Techradar
Galaxy S 3 comes with 2100 mAh battery and Samsung also offers wireless charging via a wireless charging stand at extra cost.
The international version of the Samsung Galaxy S 3 / S III with HSPA+ connectivity is expected to be launch in Europe on May 29, 2012 before a wider global roll-out of its LTE-enabled version. Company has not yet revealed pricing for the smartphone.
- Samsung Galaxy S III Launched in India for Rs. 43,180
- Samsung Galaxy S 3 Would Launch in India in June 2012
- Samsung Galaxy Fit S5670 Android Powered Smartphone in India for Rs. 11,499
- Samsung Galaxy S III Smartphone to Launch on 3rd May 2012
- Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Android Smartphone Announced
- Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Android Smartphone Retails in India For Rs. 14,990
- Samsung Galaxy Mini / Pop S5570 Entry-Level Android 2.2 Powered Smartphone Announced
- Samsung Launches Android Powered i5700 Galaxy Spica Touchscreen Smartphone with GPS Support
- Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660 Android Powered Smartphone Announced