Micromax has today launched its most ambitious first of its kind edutainment device – the Micromax Funbook tablet that features 7-inch capacitive touchscreen display and runs on Android’s latest Ice-cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.3) operating system. Claimed to be a perfect combination of hardware, content and seamless connectivity for a high-quality and engaging experience, the funbook is aimed to change the way fun and learning is consumed on the go, especially by the huge young population of India.
Targeted at over 20 million of India’s young population who aspire to own a computing device for learning and fun, Micromax’s Funbook is claimed to be completely indigenous designed and is aimed to provide an enriching experience to the students by transforming classroom teaching to e-learning.
Available at Rs. 6,500, the new Funbook tablet is aimed at giving tough competition to $35 Aakash tablet. The tablet features 7-inch (17.78 cm) 16 million colors capable capacitive touchscreen display having 800 x 480 pixel resolution and dual Mali 400 2D/3D graphic processor that is claimed to be world’s first OpenGL ES 2.0 conformant multi-core GPU that provides 2D and 3D acceleration with performance scalable up to 1080p resolutions supporting MPEG2/4, AVI, MOV, WMV, MKV, FLV, MP3 formats video playback.
Only 1-cm thick and weighing only 345 gms, the Micromax Funbook tab is powered by1.22 GHz Cortex A8 single-core processor with 512-MB DDR3 RAM and 4GB internal storage running Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich). The device also feature microSD card slot allowing up to 32GB expandable memory.
At its launch in New Delhi, Micromax said that company has partnered with leading players to provide education and entertainment content. These partnerships include Pearson and Everonn to make available unique and relevant content for the students and BigFlix, Zenga and Indiagames to provide entertainment and gaming pleasure.
Funbook also support 3G connectivity via a external USB dongle. For this company has tied up with Tata Photon + to bundle EVDO data card with 1 GB of additional download for two months. Funbook will also be retailed at Tata stores.
Unveiling the new device, Mr. Deepak Mehrotra, CEO, Micromax said, “Fun and education are two important elements of a youth’s life; they always try to balance between what they “have to do” and what they “want to do”. With the launch of Funbook, we are offering a smart solution to solve this dilemma, and we believe that Funbook will help create a balance between the two.”
For educational contents, Micromax has partnered with Pearson, Everonn, and Vriti to bring best of digital Education to its user. With quality content from content providers and education institutes, Vriti will deliver these smart courses, leveraging data analytics of 200+ million questions, and create personalized learning experience for a student. Company has also partnered with Bigflix, Indiagames and Zenga to bring best of entertainment on one device.
Everonn Education Ltd, another content partner in association with Vriti, plans to offer School curriculum-learning modules, IIT/JEE test prep module and @home live tuition products on Funbook. Students can now have access to good teachers, educational content and a great learning experience anytime anywhere.
The tab includes a 0.3 MP VGA resolution (800 x 600 pixels) auto-focus front-facing camera for video chatting, and video recording.
In addition, the Funbook also includes 802.11b/g wireless LAN connectivity,
Bluetooth, mini-USB 2.0 port connection for USB mass storage or 3G dongle connectivity, mini-HDMI digital out port connection, 3.5 mm audio out port, built-in Gyroscope Gravity Sensor and Accelerometer. The tab comes with a 2800 mAh battery that allows up to 6 to 7 hrs of moderate usage.
The Funbook offers support for Java and comes preloaded with several apps including DOC, PPT, XLS document editor, Zip files, Text editor, Adobe PDF, Flashm Youtube and more.
With HD Video playback at 1080p, users can enjoy watching videos, movies and clips in brilliant Hi-Definition mode. The HDMI port lets you connect with any other multimedia device such as TV or projector and enjoy the content in the desired way. With its big screen, watching movies, pictures and games is always a joy, reading books and surfing the net becomes much easier and convenient.
Some of the interesting features of Funbook:
- Study wherever with Micromax Funbook’s E-learning app
- Get study materials, videos, multimedia, tests, assessment, and even references from leading content brands like Pearson, Everonn, GK Publishers, Scholarshub, Vidyalankar, Universal Tutorials, CAPS, Zion and many more
- The e-learning app Vriti allows access to more than 500 smart courses ranging from Class 1 to Degree courses for CBSE, ICSE and various State Boards and even preparatory material for Medical, Engineering and MBA, making it India’s largest education exchange
- ICS, the latest Android version provides the users the freedom to choose from more than 4 lakhs apps available keeping you informed and entertained
- BIGflix integration allows users to choose from over 1000 movies in 9 languages from Hindi, English, Bengali, Kannada, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Marathi and Punjabi, across different genres like Action and Adventure, Comedy, Romance, Thriller, Drama, Animation, Musical and Horror with free access for first 30 days
- With over 48 channels to choose from, it allows users to watch their favorite show on channels like MTV, Colors, UTV Bindaas, UTV Movies, NDTV and many more – LIVE. Powered by Zenga, the Micromax Funbook leaves no stone unturned to bring entertainment in your palms.
- With improved graphic performance play games powered by Indiagames, available in a wide variety of genre such as action, adventure, arcade and fun
- Get the latest gossips from B Town and listen to chart topping numbers on ‘Bolly Buzz’ and watch favorite movie videos on M clips. Powered by Hungama
- 1 GB of free downloads for the first two months to choose from over 4000 videos and 6000 + songs
The Micromax is available in Suave Silver and Brilliant Black colors at an amazing retail price of Rs. 6,499/- and would gradually roll out in more than 50 cities across India. Plans to step beyond its own network of 100,000 stores, targets MBOs / organized trade and e-commerce portals like snapdeal.com to sell the device.
To make online content available to users, the device will come bundled with Tata Photon plus, with additional 1GB download offer for the first two months. For more information, please visit www.micromaxfunbook.com