Samsung has unveiled the next generation of its popular Tablet devices, the Samsung GALAXY Tab 10.1 Tablet and Galaxy Tab 8.9 Tablet, which are powered by a powerful 1GHz Tegra 2, Dual Core ARM cortex processor from NVIDIA and runs Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) designed to deliver the ultimate mobile entertainment experience.
Samsung has not yet announced the exact date of availability of Galaxy Tab 8.9 Tablet but the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is already slated to be available in US market starting first week of June 2011 immediately followed by its released in India market, as it was in case of Galaxy Tab 7 device. Both the devices would be vailable in two versions, with and without 3G but these is no news about the 3G versions released date as yet.
Both the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 Tablet PCs are powered by the powerful 1GHz Dual-Core TEGRA 2 Cortex ARM processor with PowerVR SGX540 chipset that offers support for enhanced multimedia features and runs on Android 3.0 Honeycomb Operating System with support for Adobe Flash 10.1.
With the Samsung GALAXY Tab 10.1 (also known as P7100 ) Tablet Device, users would able to experience PC-like web-browsing and enjoy all forms of multimedia content on the perfectly sized 10.1-inch display, on the move and can continuously communicate via e-mail, voice and video call, SMS/MMS or social network with the optimised user interface.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 tablet has 8.9-inch WXGA TFT LCD Capacitive touchscreen display with the resolution of 1280 x 800 that is just about same as a standard laptop PC while Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 features a 10.1-inch WXGA TFT LCD touchscreen display with crystal clear resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels, delivering exciting mobile experience for watching films, viewing pictures, e-reading or sharing documents.
Both Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and Tab 10.1 includes Accelerometer sensor, three axis gyro sensor and boasts of internal dual surround-sound speakers delivering high quality sound on the go and allows access to over 150,000 free and paid games and applications available from Android Market.
Both the Galaxy Tab 8.9 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablets comes with rear-facing 3.15 megapixel autofocus camera having 2048 x 1536 pixel still picture resolution, built-in LED flash and is capable of video recording in 720p HD resolution. Both tablet devices also includes a 2.0 megapixel front-facing digital camera for video calling over 3G or WiFi.
The Galaxy Tab 8.9 weighs only 470 grams while Tab 10.1 weighs 595 grams and at 8.6 mm thickness, both the tablet devices are lighter, slimmer and more portable than many of its competitors.
Both Galaxy Tan 8.9 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 devices comes in the choice of internal storage capacity ranging from 16GB, 32GB or 64GB and features microSD memory card slot allowing up to 32GB external expandable storage.
For data connectivity Galaxy Tab 8.9 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 includes GPRS, EDGE, super-fast 3G HSPA+ 21Mbps (only in 3G version), Bluetooth 3.0+A2DP and WiFi 802.11b/g/N wireless LAN with dual-antenna to increase mobile download speeds and reduce data transfer times.
Both the Samsung GALAXY Tab 8.9 and Tab 10.1 Tablet Device also offers ‘Readers Hub,’ Samsung’s unique e-reading application, that provides easy access to a vast digital library – from classical literature to the latest bestsellers and reference materials and at the same time, HD video content is supported by a wide range of multimedia formats (DivX, XviD, MPEG4, H.263, H.264 and more) which maximises the joy of entertainment.
Both the Samsung GALAXY Tab 8.9 and Tab 10.1 tablet devices are packed with services and access to Android Marketplace lets users download apps and personalise their device infinitely. In addition, there are pre-loaded applications uniquely designed and optimised for Samsung smart phones and smart media devices.
The Samsung Readers Hub consolidates e-reading applications such as eBooks, magazines, and newspapers. Users can enjoy ‘reading’ with unified and intuitive user experience, powered by global eReading service leaders, Kobo, PressDisplay and Zinio. More than 2 million books including today’s best sellers, over 2,500 titles of magazines in 20 languages and more than 1,600 newspapers in 47 languages are available at launch and will grow the library gradually.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 Tablet Key Specifications
- HSPA+ 21Mbps 850/900/1900/2100 (only in 3G version)
- EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900 (only in 3G version)
- 3G HSUPA 5.76Mbps (only in 3G version)
- 3G HSDPA 7.2Mbps (only in 3G version)
- Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) running TouchWiz 3.0
- 8.9-inch / 10.1-inch TFT LCD Capacitive touchscreen display with 1280 x 800 resolution (WXGA) 16 Million Colors
- 1GHz Dual-Core TEGRA 2 Cortex ARM processor with PowerVR SGX540 chipset
- 16GB/32GB/64GB internal storage, 512 MB RAM
- microSD expansion for up to 32GB additional storage
- three-axix Gyroscope Sensor
- Geo-magnetic Sensor
- Accelerometer for auto rotate, Light Sensor
- Multi-Touch Input, Swype Text Input
- Front-facing 2.0 megapixel camera for Video Calling
- Rear-facing 3.15 megapixel AUTOFOCUS Camera with built-in flash, Geo Tagging
- Video recording – 720p HD @ 24fps
- Dual-band 802.11b/g/N WiFi LAN (in 3G and non 3G versions)
- Bluetooth 3.0 + A2DP
- microUSB 2.0 port
- Built-in GPS with Assisted GPS, Google Maps 3.0
- Adobe Flash 10.1 support
- 3.5 mm Audio Port
- Threaded SMS, EMAIL, Push EMAIL
- TV-Out via 3.5 mm Audio Port using special cable
- Full HD Video Playback
- Thinkfree Office App (full version) View/Edit – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, View PDF
- Google Search, Maps, Gmail, YouTube, Calendar, Google Talk, Picasa integration
- 6860 mAh Li-ion battery, 10 Hours of video playback
Price and Availability
The non 3G version of Samsung GALAXY Tab 10.1 with 16GB internal storage will be available in early July 2011 for $499 (Rs. 22,100 ) while GALAXY Tab 10.1 with 32GB internal memory is priced for $599 (RS. 26,520).
Update: In India the Galaxy Tab 10.1 device is expected to be available for about Rs. 34,500 for 16GB internal storage while Galaxy Tab 8.9 is expected to be priced for about Rs. 28,000 with 16GB internal storage.
The non 3G version of Samsung GALAXY Tab 8.9 with 16GB internal storage is expected to be available towards end of 2011 for the price of $469 (Rs. 20,770) while GALAXY Tab 8.9 with 32GB internal memory is priced for $569 (RS. 25,190 ).
- Samsung Galaxy Tablet Powered By Android Unveiled
- Samsung Announces Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 Tablet Device Powered by 1GHz CPU & Android 2.2
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (P7100) Tablet Announced
- Samsung Galaxy Fit S5670 Android Powered Smartphone in India for Rs. 11,499
- Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660 Android Powered Smartphone Announced
- Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Android Smartphone Announced
- Samsung Galaxy Tab Launched in India For Rs. 38,000; Pre-Order Goes Live
- Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Android Smartphone Retails in India For Rs. 14,990
- Samsung Galaxy Fit S5670 Entry-Level Android 2.2 Powered Smartphone Announced