Sony Ericsson has officially launched in India its latest flagship mobile device, the Sony Xperia PLAY Smartphone which is based on 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and features 4.0-inch LED backlit touchtouch display and unique touch sensitive gaming controls along with PSP like gaming buttons allowing users play PlayStation Suite games on the handset.
The new Sony Xperia PLAY is Sony’s first PlayStation Certified Android smartphone that gives users incredible graphics, great sound and real game controller. Just slide out the controls of Xperia PLAY and get behind the wheel of a race car or jump into a street fight on PlayStation console. In addition, Sony Xperia PLAY also supports multi-player gaming and comes with several pre-loaded games with additional titles available for download.
Powered by the latest version of the Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS with Sony’s Timescape user interface, the Sony Xperia PLUS Android smartphone boasts of the stunning design with super slim and light weight body and is just 16mm thick at its thinnest part.
The Sony Xperia PLAY smartphone is 3G UMTS HSPA 900, 2100 / GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 / UMTS HSPA 800, 850, 1900, 2100 and GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 network ready and it comes with 400MB internal memory along with 512MB od RAM and offers up to 32GB expandable memory via microSD card. The phone comes with 8GB memory card.
The Xperia PLAY smartphone has a extra wide 4.0-inch 854 x 480 pixel FWVGA multi-touch capacitive screen with 16 million colors made from Shatter proof sheet on scratch-resistant mineral glass for extra protection and includes Accelerometer for auto-display rotation, and Proximity sensor.
Created from premium materials and with a stunning arc body, the Sony Xperia PLAY smartphone is sleek, and strong which also boasts of Reality Display with SONY Mobile BRAVIA Engine delivers exceptional visual brilliance and a crystal clear image which enhances the overall entertainment experience.
In addition, the Sony Xperia PLAY smartphone features 5.0 megapixel rear-facing camera featuring Sony’s award-winning Exmor R for mobile sensor with the f/2.4 lens enables the capture of high quality, bright pictures and high quality videos even in low light.
The 5.0 megapixel camera has 2592 x 1944 pixel still picture resolution, offers up to 2.46x smart zoom, aperture f/2.4, Auto focus, Face detection, Flash/LED, Geo tagging, image stabilizer, noise suppression, smile detection, touch focus, and touch capture features. The camera can also record video in WVGA resolution and there is a secondary front-facing VGA resolution camera for video calling.
Powered by 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon Processor with Adreno 205 graphics chipset, Sony Xperia PLAY smartphone is based on the latest version of the Android platform 2.3 providing access to Google Mobile Services and the myriad of applications available on the Android market. Some of the services available includes:
- Android Market Client
- Gmail with Push mail
- Google Calendar
- Google Gallery 3D
- Google Latitude
- Google Maps with Street View
- Google Media Uploader
- Google Music Player
- Google Phone-top Search
- Google Search widget
- Google Sync
- Google Talk
- Google Voice Search
- Set-up Wizard
For connectivity, Xperia PLAY smartphone offers GPRS class 10, EDGE Class 10, 3G HSDPA 7.2 Mbps, and 3G HSUPA 5.76 Mbps, in addition to built-in WiFi 802.11b/g/N wireless network support along with Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP, and hi-speed microUSB 2.0 port.
Other hardware features include active noise cancellation with dedicated mic, WiFi Hotspot, DLNA compatible, 3.5 mm audio jack, GPS with aGPS support, HDMI out port, and FM Radio with RDS, audio and video media players.
The Xperia PLAY comes with 1500 mAh Li-Po battery that can provide up to 8 hrs of talk-time (2G network) or up to 30 hrs of nonstop music play.
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY – Key features
- 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon Processor with Adreno 205 graphics chipset
- Extra wide 4.2 multi-touch Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine to ensure ultimate multimedia and viewing experiences, 854 x 480 pixels (FWVGA) resolution
- Sony Exmor R for mobile: for best-in-class low-light photography and video capture
- 5.0 megapixel rear-view camera, 2592 x 1944 pixel resolution, LED Flash, Autofocus
- Video recording in QVGA resolution
- Secondary VGA resolution camera for video calling
- 400MB internal memory, 512MB RAM
- microSD slot, 32GB expandable storage
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS
- Android Market – thousands of applications to keep you entertained
- GPRS, EDGE
- WiFi 802.11b/g/N, DLNA, WiFi Hotspot
- GPS with aGPS
- 1500 mAh Li-Po battery, 8 Hrs of talk-time
- Size: 119 x 62 x 16 mm
- Weight: 175 grams
Price and Availability
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY Android smartphone will be available in India for the price of Rs. 35,000 with one year warranty in the black and white colours.
- Sony Xperia X10 Mini Pro Smartphone Announces Powered by Android 1.6 & Featuring QWERTY Keyboard
- Sony Xperia X10 Mini Smartphone Powered by Google Android 1.6 OS Announced
- Sony Xperia ARC Smartphone Announced With Android 2.3; Features 4.2-inch Screen
- Sony Xperia SL Android Powered Smartphone Launched in India
- Sony Xperia ARC Smartphone Launched in India for Rs. 32,000
- Sony Xperia NEO Smartphone Launched in India; Runs Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS
- Sony Xperia go Waterproof Android Smartphone Announced
- Sony Xperia X8 Smartphone Powered by Google Android 2.1 OS Announced
- Sony Ericsson Launches XPERIA X8 Smartphone in India; Featuring Android 1.6 & 3.2 MP Camera