Intel has today announced the global availability of 2nd generation Intel Core i7-990X six-cores Processor that features 12MB total L2 CPU cache delivering mind boggling 3.46 GHz of speed claimed to be the highest performing desktop processor on the earth today.
Successor to Intel’s previous Core i7-980X that runs on 3.33 GHz speed, the new Intel Core i7-990X boasts up to 3.73 GHz speed with Intel Turbo Boost Technology and features six-cores and 12 processing threads with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology).
Featuring massive 12MB of L2 Intel Smart Cache, the processor offers support of 3 channel DDR3 @1066 RAM and is build using 32nm manufacturing process technology.
The Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition processor is ideal for hardcore multitaskers allowing blazing speed performance through everything users do on their desktop PC – from playing intense 3D games to creating and editing digital video, music, and photos.
PCs based on the Intel Core i7-990X processor Extreme Edition deliver incredible performance with a rich feature set utilizing the high performance platform capabilities of Intel X58 Express Chipset-based motherboards, along with faster, in addition to intelligent multi-core technology that applies processing power dynamically when its needed most.
Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition also offers greater performance in 3D gaming applications allowing users smoother and more realistic gaming made possible by distributing AI, physics, and rendering across six cores and 12 threads, bringing 3D to life for the ultimate gaming experience.
The six-core Intel Core i7-990X processors Extreme Edition deliver an incredible breakthrough performance and feature the latest innovations in processor technologies:
- Intel Turbo Boost Technology maximizes speed for demanding applications, dynamically accelerating performance to match your workload-more performance when you need it the most.
- Intel HT Technology enables highly threaded applications to get more work done in parallel. With 8 threads available to the operating system, multi-tasking becomes even easier.
- Intel Smart Cache provides a higher-performance, more efficient cache subsystem. Optimized for industry leading multi-threaded games.
- Intel QuickPath Interconnect is designed for increased bandwidth and low latency. It can achieve data transfer speeds as high as 25.6 GB/sec with the Extreme Edition processor.
- Integrated memory controller enables three channels of DDR3 1066 MHz memory, resulting in up to 25.6 GB/sec memory bandwidth. This memory controller’s lower latency and higher memory bandwidth delivers amazing performance for data-intensive applications.
- Intel HD Boost significantly improves a broad range of multimedia and compute-intensive applications. The 128-bit SSE instructions are issued at a throughput rate of one per clock cycle, allowing a new level of processing efficiency with SSE4 optimized applications.
- AES-NI Encryption/Decryption Acceleration provides 6 new processor instructions that help to improve performance for AES encryption and decryption algorithms.
Intel Core i7-990X processor Extreme Edition Key Features
- 3.46 GHz core speed
- Up to 3.73 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
- 6 cores and 12 processing threads with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel HT Technology)
- 12 MB Intel® Smart Cache
- 3 Channels DDR3 1066 MHz memory
- 32nm manufacturing process technology
- Bus/Core ration – 26
- Max TDP – 130W
- 64-bit Instruction Set
This new Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition processor is likely to be priced about $999 (Rs. 45,495 approx.) in 1000-unit quantities. A single unit might cost in range of Rs. 51,500 with warranty.
- Intel Launches Core 2 Duo Desktop Processor and Core 2 Extreme Processor
- Dell Launch Precision 390 Workstation
- Simmtronics Launches Intel G41 Chipset Based G41T-M Motherboard
- Latest Intel Core i3/i5 Powered Notebooks Below Rs. 50,000
- Intel Launches Dual-Core Xeon 5100 Series Processor
- MSI GT680 Gaming Laptop Announced with Intel Core i7 Processor & NVIDIA Discrete Graphics
- Gigabyte GA-EG31M-S2 Motherboard Launched
- Dell Launches Precision M6500 Laptop Powered by Intel i7 Processor
- Scythe Launches SCNJ-3000 Ninja-3 CPU Cooler