Samsung has unveiled the new mid-range Samsung WAVE 578 (S5780) Smartphone, at Mobile World Congress 2011 at Barcelona, is its next handset based on the opinion-dividing BADA mobile operating system platform which allows third-party applications integration capability and also features Near Field Communication (NFC) chip.
The new Samsung Wave 578 smartphone is equipped with Near Field Communication (NFC) – a technology that allows users to enjoy many innovative services such as mobile payment at the shops and paying transportation fare, reading tags, getting mobile coupons, etc.
BADA, which means Ocean in Korea, mobile operating system is one of the latest mobile OS which is in direct competition to several prevailing high-end operating system for mobiles such as Apple’s iPhone OS, Google’s open-source Android OS, Microsoft’s Windows Mobile, Blackberry’s RIM and Nokis’s open-source Symbian OS.
Samsung’s Bada mobile OS brings smartphone technology to the masses, enabling entry level handsets to offer apps, multimedia and a touchscreen experience comparable to high end mobile devices and many handhelds.
Armed with 1-GHz ARM Cortex A8 processor, the Samsung WAVE 578 (S5780) smartphone features a 3.2-inch, WQVGA Super Clear LCD Capacitive full touchscreen display made of Scratch-resistant glass and is equipped with Accelerometer sensor for auto screen rotate, Proximity sensor for auto display off and Smart unlocking feature and introduces an anti-smudge screen technology that reduce greasy fingerprints.
The Samsung Wave 578 is equipped with Samsung TouchWiz 3.0 user interface that offers customizable home screen and menus, and Social Hub function which provides email, instant messaging and social notworking services in a single interface.
A whole variety of widgets are available, which users can activate by swiping of a finger, which displays information from the phone, accessing images, music and other content and provide a quick way to access various functions in the handset.
Widgets with drag-and-drop: The simple ‘drag-and-drop’ technology allows selecting multiple widgets from the left panel of the screen which can simply be dropped anywhere on the main screen. A widgets is small portable chunk of code that can be executed without requiring any additional programming etc.
The Bada platform enabled Samsung WAVE 578 smartphone comes with either 100MB internal memory and offers support for microSD expandable memory card with upto 16-GB additional expandable memory and offers pretty comprehensive data connectivity options including GPRS class 10, EDGE Class 10, 3G HSDPA 384 kbps, in addition to built-in WiFi 802.11b/g/N wireless network support along with Bluetooth v3.0 with A2DP, and hi-speed microUSB 2.0 port.
The Samsung Wave 578 comes equipped with with strong 1200 mAh standard Li-ion battery and also features 3.5 mm audio port, JAVA MIDP 2.0 support, and offers an iTunes-style apps store for downloading games, mapping, eBooks and lifestyle applications.
The Samsung WAVE 578 smartphone features 3.2 megapixel camera with video recording capability, Geo-tagging, smile and blink detection functionality, and also includes a front-facing VGA resolution camera for video calling.
Offering 5.1 surround sound, some of the other features of the new Samsung Wave 578 includes FM Radio with RDS and recording, MP3 media player (MP3/WAV/WMA/eAAC+) , video player supporting MP4/MKV/xVid/DivX/MP4/H.263/H.264 3GP video files, and JAVA MIDP 2.0 support.
The Samsung Wave 578 features a soft rounded edges that support an ergonomic grip and a sleek metallic body, and is comfortable to hold.
The device also allows access to Samsung Apps Store, an integrated application store, from the device featuring wealth of games, navigation, social networking, e-book, health and lifestyle applications, enabling users to simply and easily download an abundance of applications.
Samsung Wave 578 S8530 specifications:
- Quad-band 2G GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- Dual-band 3G HSDPA 900/2100 3.6 Mbps
- 3.2-inch, WQVGA Scratch resistant Super-clear LCD capacitive touchscreen display
- 100MB internal memory
- 16 GB microSD support
- Multi-touch input method
- Accelerometer sensor
- Handwriting recognition
- Proximity Sensor
- Digital Compass
- 3.2 MP camera with LED Flash, Touch focus, Geo-tagging, face detection, smile detection
- Front-facing VGA resolution camera for video calling
- Bada OS 1.2 with TouchWiz 3.0 UI
- ARM Cortex A8 1GHz processor
- FM radio with RDS
- FM recording
- GPRS Class 10
- EDGE Class 10
- 3G HSDPA 3.6 Mbps; HSUPA, 2 Mbps
- Bluetooth 3.0 with A2DP
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN
- MicroUSB 2.0
- Audio Music Player with SoundAlive EQ, Music Recognition
- 3.5mm Ear Jack, Stereo FM Radio with RDS
- TV Out port
- NFC, Samsung Apps, Samsung TouchWiz, Social Hub, Integrated Contacts, Integrated Calendar, Unified Inbox
- Push IM: Yahoo! Messenger, IM: Google Talk, Facebook Chat
- GPS with A-GPS support, Samsung Mobile Navigator
- Li-Ion 1200 mAh battery
Talktime: 2G 750 min / 3G 410 min
Standby Time: 2G – 700 hours; 3G – 500 hours
- Dim – 107.9 x 54.9 x 12.5mm
- Weight – 99.8 gms
Price and Availability
BADA OS powered Samsung Wave 578 will be available in May of 2011 in France and will be gradually rolled out to European countries, CIS, South East Asia, India, Middle East, and China.
- Samsung Wave II S8530 Smartphone With BADA OS Launched in India for Rs. 19,000
- Samsung WAVE S8500 BADA OS Powered Smartphone Launched
- Samsung Wave 2 Pro (S5330) Smartphone Launched With BADA OS and TouchWiz UI 3.0
- Samsung Wave 2 (S5250) Smartphone Launched With BADA OS and TouchWiz UI 3.0
- Samsung Wave 723 (GT-S7230E) BADA Powered Smartphone Announced
- Samsung Galaxy 3 i5800 Smartphone Launched in India @ Rs. 12,500
- Samsung Galaxy 3 (i5800) Smartphone Launched With TouchWiz UI 3.0 and Social Hub
- Samsung Galaxy 5 i5500 Smartphone Launched in India @ Rs. 9,000
- Samsung Galaxy 5 i5500 Smartphone Launched With TouchWiz UI 3.0 and ‘Social Hub’