Nokia has unveiled in India a new innovative Nokia Bicycle Charger Kit, including the dynamo charger that is an alternative charging solution build especially for users with either limited access to electricity or who would also have option to charge their Nokia phones while riding their bicycles while exercising.
Providing free and environmentally friendly electricity for mobile phones, the Nokia Bicycle Charger Kit consists of a charger and dynamo, as well as a holder to secure the phone to the bike.
Initially unveiled at a media conference held in June 2010, in the Kenyan capital Nairobi, this Bicycle charging kit is an effective way to generate power. Charging starts when you cycle at walking speed (6 km/hour) or faster, and at 12 km/h it charges as efficiently as common Nokia mains chargers.
The total charging time varies depending on the phone and the cycling speed. For example, with just 20 minutes of cycling at 10 km/h you can power up a Nokia 1202 for 1 hour of talk time or 74 hours of standby time. The Nokia Bicycle Charger Kit is compatible with all Nokia phones that have a 2 mm charging interface.
The Nokia Bicycle Charger Kit is easy to install and suits many different types of bicycles. The kit consists of three components: a bottle dynamo, a charger and a phone holder. The bottle dynamo fits to the front of the bike with a mounting bracket and charger and phone holder get attached securely to the handle bars.
When the kit is installed, the dynamo – a small electrical generator – uses the movement of the wheels to charge the handset through the standard 2mm charging jack used in most Nokia mobile phones.
The Nokia Bicycle charger is carefully designed to withstand dirt, humidity, and weather, with an ultrasonically welded case and clear coating on the electronics. The phone holder comes with a transparent bag that protect the phone being charged from dirt and humidity.
According to Nokia, with this innovative bike charger, people get even more freedom to use their Nokia without worrying about battery life.
Bicycles are the most widespread means of transport in many markets around the world, so this is just one more benefit to be gained from an activity people are already doing.
Nokia Bicycle Charger Kit contains:
- Bottle Dynamo for Bicycles
- Nokia Bicycle Charger
- Nokia Phone Holder for Bicycles
- 4 black re-usable cable ties
- Plastic bag (to protect the phone against dust and humidity)
This is a great solution to a real challenge, whether people will use it due to limited access to electricity, or to be more environmentally responsible.
Price and Availability
The Nokia Bicycle Charger Kit would be available across India for an estimated price of Rs. 1,500 at February end or early March 2011.
- Nokia Unveils Bicycle Charger Kit – A New Alternative Charging Solution
- ARCTIC Launches ARCTIC C1 GT USB Wall Charger
- Nokia C1-02 Single SIM Mobile Phone launched in India for Rs. 2,394
- Nokia C1-02 Single SIM Mobile Phone launched
- Nokia C1-01 Mobile Phone Launched, Offers 11 Hrs Talk Time
- Nokia C1-01 Mobile Phone Launched in India, Offers 11 Hrs Talk Time
- Nokia Plans to Launch 40 Biodegradable Green Mobile Phones
- Nokia C1-00 Dual SIM Entry-Level Mobile Phone Launched
- Amkette Turbo USB 7-Port Hub and Charger Launched in India