Garmin has today announced its first turn-by-turn navigation app for iPhone, StreetPilot, as well as its full lineup of new smartphone applications for both iPhone and Android.
Garmin’s new mobile applications that includes StreetPilot for iPhone, Garmin Tracker, myMechanic, and My-Cast Lite, will be on display at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
“Providing consumers with mobile applications is yet another way they can experience the benefits of Garmin – be it our navigation expertise or bringing the capabilities of our niche market products to a smartphone. GPS is an extremely helpful tool, but we recognize it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution. We decided to introduce a new line of smartphone applications so that we can give customers a quality Garmin experience in the format of their choosing,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales.
The StreetPilot App for iOS platform:
StreetPilot App is designed specifically for iPhone, and it gives iPhone owners unlimited use of Garmin’s navigation with traffic alerts. The user interface offers two simple options: “Where to?” and “View Map.”, allowing users to easily look up addresses and services and get voice-prompted, turn-by-turn directions that speak street names to their destination.
Featuring many of the same high-end features which are available on Garmin’s standalone automotive GPS devices, the StreetPilot App offers free traffic alerts that enable drivers to steer clear of traffic accidents, road closures and construction; lane assist with junction view that directs drivers to the preferred lane and displays realistic images of upcoming complex junctions; and speed limit indicators that display speed limits for most major roads.
The Maps in Garmin’s StreePilot app are not stored locally on your smartphone, rather, they are downloaded on demand, resulting in larger load time. In addition, the functionality is entirely dependent on Internet connectivity available to the App. Only advantage being that being an off-board navigation system, users always have the advantage of the most up-to-date mapping information available.
Some other features of StreePilot includes:
- Integration with a users’s iTunes music library allowing access and control their music while on the move
- Integrates with user’s address book so they can navigate directly from their contact list
The StreetPilot App is available now for $39.99 from the App Store on iPhone or at www.itunes.com/appstore.
- Garmin-Asus Nuvifone M10 GPS Enabled Smartphone Launched in India, Includes 5MP Camera and 3G Support
- Garmin-Asus A10 GPS Enabled Smartphone Launched in India, Includes 5MP Camera and 3G Support
- iPhone 4 Would Be Launched in India by Vodafone Essar
- The iPhone 3G S Phone Being Launched in India on 24th March 2010
- 5 Tips for Taking Great Holiday Pictures with iPhone this Holiday Season
- LARA CROFT AND THE GUARDIAN OF LIGHT App Now Available for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
- LG Unveils LG LU3000 Android 2.2 FroYo Powered Smartphone in Korea; Offers full 1080p HD Video Recording
- Samsung Wave 723 (GT-S7230E) BADA Powered Smartphone Announced
- Samsung Galaxy S III Smartphone to Launch on 3rd May 2012