Sony has launched in India its two new compact and light weight Sony NEX-5 and NEX-3 Digital Cameras which are claimed to be world’s smallest interchangeable lens digital cameras and these digital cameras offers DSLR picture quality and responsive shooting.
As against conventional DSLR models, the ‘mirrorless’ construction shrinks the thickness of both these digital cameras to just 24.2mm in Sony NEX-5 (excluding grip and mount) and 25.4mm in Sony NEX-3 (excluding grip and mount) at their slimmest point.
The Sony NEX-5 camera also features a tough yet light-weight magnesium body, making it the world’s smallest and lightest interchangeable lens digital camera.
At the core of both these cameras is a newly-developed Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor with a resolution of 14.2 effective megapixels which is far larger than the sensor inside conventional compact cameras on the market, resulting in extremely low image noise and creative defocus effects that is only offered by DSLR cameras.
Both cameras comes equipped with the powerful BIONZ processor that ensures speedy DSLR-style shooting reflexes with quick, precise autofocus and minimal shutter lag and these cameras can also capture fast-moving action with a high-speed burst of full-resolution images at up to 7fps (AF/AE fixed from first frame).
Offering an elegant, uncluttered user interface featuring a new ‘never get lost’ menu, both these camera allows easy accessed to shooting parameters via an intuitive control wheel and two soft keys.
Both Sony NEX-5 and NEX-3 Digital Camera features big and bright 7.5cm (3”), Xtra Fine LCD display that tilts up or down for comfortable viewing in any shooting position displaying images and camera settings.
Compatibility with a wide range of interchangeable lenses dramatically expands the artistic possibilities of the E-mount camera system. Ideal for everyday shooting, the low-profile E 16mm F/2.8 (SEL16F28) ‘pancake’ lens minimises bulk when the camera is being carried in a coat pocket.
Its field of view can be boosted even further by the VCL-ECU Ultra Wide Converter and VCL-ECF Fisheye Converter that deliver high-definition optical performance in a sleek, co-ordinated design. Featuring in-lens Optical SteadyShot image stabilisation for clearer handheld images, the E 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 zoom (SEL1855) is a perfect travel partner.
The Sony NEX-5 and NEX-3 digital camera are available in kit form with either lens, or as a double-lens kit that provides even greater shooting versatility. The Sony NEX-5 can also be specified as a kit with the optional E 18-200 F/3.5-6.3 zoom (SEL18200) that offers a powerful 11x magnification range plus Optical SteadyShot image stabilisation with Active Mode at wide angle for steadier movie shooting.
Both the Sony NEX-5 and NEX-3 digital camera offers HD video recording featuring a dedicated Movie REC button. Both camera can shoot HD video with stereo sound as compact MPEG4 files that are ideal for PC storage and web sharing. Full HD (1920 x 1080i) video captured by the NEX-5 as high-quality AVCHD files can be enjoyed on a connected HD television.
The Sony NEX-5 and NEX-3 digital cameras are the first digital cameras featuring Sweep Panorama allowing users to shoot Panoramic picture with camera swinging side-to-side or up and down. A high-speed burst of frames is stitched together automatically to create detail-packed 23 megapixel panoramas with a 226 degree effective angle of view. Panoramic files can also be enjoyed in stunning 3D on compatible BRAVIA 3D televisions.
Key Features of Sony NEX series digital camera
- DSLR picture quality and responsive shooting
- World’s smallest and lightest interchangeable lens digital camera (NEX-5)
- 14.2 effective megapixels Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor
- Video Shooting (NEX-5) - AVCHD: max. 1920 x 1080i, 17Mbps, MP4: max. 1440 x 1080i, 12Mbps
- Video Shooting (NEX-3) – MP4: max. 1280 x 720 p, 9Mbps
- 1080i HD movie recording (NEX-5) with stereo sound, fast and silent autofocus
- Intuitive new interface with Help Guide and Shooting Tips
- E-mount lens system compatible with DSLR lenses (with optional Mount Adaptor)
- Sweep Panorama with 3D capability
- 7.5cm (3”) Wide type XtraFine TruBlack LCD (921k dot resolution), angle adjustable 80 degree up/45 degree down
- Memory Stick Pro Duo, Pro-HG Duo; SD memory card, SDHC memory card, SDXC memory card
- HDMI out port
- USB 2.0 port
Price and Availability
Both these models are readily available in India and the Sony NEX-5 is priced at Rs. 35,000 while Sony NEX-3 has price tag of Rs. 30,000.
- Nikon Finally Entering Mirrorless lightweight, Interchangeable-lens Digital Camera Market
- Sony Announces NEX-VG10 Interchangeable Lens HD Camcorder
- Sony Launches SLT-A55V & SLT-A33 Digital SLR Cameras; Offers Full 1080p HD Movie Recording
- Samsung Launches NX10 – World’s First Interchangeable-Lens APS-C Digital Single Lens Camera
- SONY DSLR-A580 Digital-SLR Camera Launched; Offers Full 1080p HD Video Recording, 3D Sweep Panaroma
- SONY DSLR-A560 Digital-SLR Camera Launched; Offers Full 1080p HD Video Recording, 3D Sweep Panorama
- Samsung Launches TL-105 and TL-110 Digital Cameras
- Sony Unveils Alpha DSLR-A100
- Samsung NX11 Compact Digital Camera Launched; Also supports new iFUnction Lens