Western Digital has introduced the WD TV Live Hub Media Center, that is a Full-HD 1080p capable media player with a massive 1 terabyte (TB) built-in network hard drive storage giving users the freedom to store and play all their personal media on any screen in the home.
The WD TV Live Hub media center device is capable of playing a wide variety of media file types, including popular Full-HD 1080p video formats in .mkv, .mp4 and .mov extensions and including HD camcorder video formats. It features internal compact and quiet 1 TB hard drive storage that enables users to centralize their digital media from multiple sources for smooth, glitch-free playback of even the highest resolution videos.
WD TV Live Hub Media Center also allows easy transferred of media files to the internal drive from shared folders on PCs and Mac PC on the network or directly from external hard drives, USB thumb drives, digital camcorders or cameras connected via one of the two built-in USB ports.
Most importantly, users also can stream videos from home network drives with a DLNA/UPnP server including the recently announced My Book Live home network drive (not yet launched in India). Though it does not feature built-in WiFi connectivity, the device can be made WiFi enabled via USB adapter.
The WD TV Live Hub media center can also work as digital media server streaming HD video, music and photos directly from the internal 1TB hard drive to any DLNA/UPnP-compatible TV or multimedia device, anywhere in the connected home, including the WD TV Live Plus HD media player, connected TVs, Blu-ray Disc players, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 game consoles.
Users also can stream content from their WD TV Live Hub media center to Apple iPads, iPhones or Android smartphones using third-party applications which can be found on Apple’s iTune stores and Android Market place.
The WD TV Live Hub media center also offers unique Facebook integration, which lets users upload photos and videos, share their status, view their wall and get the latest newsfeed from their network of friends directly on the big screen TV.
In addition, the WD TV Live Hub media center also provides viewing of YouTube for user-generated videos and Flickr for photo sharing. The device features an online keyboard to help users interact on websites.
The customizable WD TV Live Hub media center’s user interface enables personalization of screen backgrounds and user interface themes, as well as setting of favorites and content ratings. Standard wired or wireless USB keyboards can be used for simpler text input for activities such as searches of local content and YouTube and Facebook interaction.
The device is also compatible with Windows 7, including the Windows 7 Play To feature, and any DLNA/UPnP-enabled device.
Key features of the WD TV Live Hub media center:
- Compatibility with virtually all TV sets
- Features an HDMI 1.4 digital out port
- Composite video out
- Cmponent video output
- Automatic sync of shared digital media folders from PCs and Macs on the network with the internal hard drive to provide easy playback of new content
- Customizable user interface and programmable remote
- Ultra-compact design that easily fits into almost any entertainment center
- Two USB 2.0 ports that allow seamless media playback from USB drives, camcorders and digital cameras
- WiFi-readiness (with adapter)
Price and Availability
The WD TV Live Hub media center will be available at the end of December for Rs. 10,000 with one year warranty.
- Kingston Digital Second Generation Mobile Lite Wireless Media Streamer Launched
- Seagate Unveils 10 New Data Storage Products In India
- Toshiba Launches External Desktop Hard Drive; Offers 1TB/2TB Storage
- WD Launches ‘My Book Essential’, ‘My Passport Essential’ and ‘My Passport Essential SE’ Series Portable Hard Drives With USB 3.0
- Strontium 32-GB TNT USB Flash Drives Rolls out in India
- Western Digital 1-TB Caviar Black SATA Hard Drive
- Sony launches PSZ-HA2T 2TB High Speed Portable HDD
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1-Terabyte Hard Disk Launched
- Iomega Launches Radical, Red Hot and Knock Out – Iomega Skin Branded Portable Hard Drives