Samsung today finally released Android 2.2 (Froyo) upgrade to the Samsung GALAXY S Smartphone in India giving users in India access to new features, enhanced navigation applications and improved performance.
The Galaxy S firmware upgrade is reportedly moving steadily for all customers in India as being reported by several tech news sites in India and we have seen our Samsung Kies interface prompting the firmware upgrade as seen in picture above.
Kies took another 34MB download to upgrade itself before the final firmware upgrade prompt appeared. This was the second Kile update we saw in November itself.
The firmware upgrade is a serious business requiring proper preparation and few complete backup of almost every data you have on the phone (except the downloaded apps) but its not as frightening as it may sound or being made in several tech blogs.
The whole upgrade process took some 20 minutes in total including 18 minutes for complete download using a 3 Mbps wireless broadband connection and there were no issues of any nature. On reboot after FroYo upgrade, phone invoked a new quick phone-setup-wizard involving WiFi/3G etc settings and as expected all homescreens went cleaned while a new first homescreen with custom shortcuts appeared.
Thankfully all data including SMS, contacts, media files, pictures and all the Apps with respective data get restored perfectly though Application icons on Application screens now looked alphabetically sorted mixing Apps from Google and downloaded from Android Market.
The Samsung GALAXY S i9000 smartphone is Samsung’s cleverly designed smartphone with a bright 4.0 inch, 480 x 800 pixels 16-Million colors capable Super AMOLED Capacitive touchscreen and is powered by a 1-GHz ARM Cortex A8 Processor and SGX540 GPU, giving users an intelligent, immersive and integrated mobile experience.
The Google’s Android 2.2 (FroYo) upgrade offers voice-controlled GPS through Google Maps with Navigation, faster performance by JIT (Just in Time) compiler. The mobile AP settings which allows users to convert the their Android handset into a mobile sharable WiFi hotspot now has advanced options and is believed to be more secure.
Among other new feature in FroYo there is a new more advanced settings of USB port connection allowing more options while a USB is connected or to ask when any device gets connected and ‘Display and Sound’ option now separated into Display and Sound options under Settings allowing more options.
Additionally, further functionality including Search in-browser, Adobe Flash Player 10.1, improved customization options will be provided with OS upgrade. More local languages support has been added in addition to introduction of an advance function ‘Sensor Aiding’, that allows users to fine tune sensing the position of a walker and also aid in conserving battery.
Android 2.2 FroYo Highlights :
Android 2.2 Key Features
- Google Maps with Navigation – GPS navigation system with voice guidance
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1 – Allow the web browser to make full use of the whole web
- New Setup Wizard – Quickly customize the GALAXY S and access networks with ease
- Home Screen/Menu Preview and Edit : Preview by pinch-zoom
- New Search in-Browser : Google, Translate, Wikipedia, Dictionary
- JIT Compiler
- New Android Market with automatic App updates
- Improved Keyboard
- Quicker link to GPS and GPS glitch fixed
- New Media Hun Application
- Improved MS Exchange support
- New Gmail application
- Improved user interface of Media Player
- Dark Menu Theme
- In-browser search for Google, Dictionary, Wikipedia and Translate
- Video recording in MP4 file format
- New Media Scanning Status bar
The “Home Screen/Menu Preview and Edit” features allows Preview by pinch-zoom, something similar to what HTC’s Leap feature.
- Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2 Upgrade Finally Released (Updated)
- HTC Wildfire Android 2.2 FroYo Update Rolls Out in India
- Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Android Smartphone Retails in India For Rs. 14,990
- Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Android Smartphone Announced
- Samsung Galaxy Fit S5670 Android Powered Smartphone in India for Rs. 11,499
- Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660 Android Powered Smartphone Announced
- Samsung Galaxy Fit S5670 Entry-Level Android 2.2 Powered Smartphone Announced
- Samsung Galaxy Mini / Pop S5570 Entry-Level Android 2.2 Powered Smartphone Announced
- Samsung GALAXY Ace (S5830) Android Powered Smartphone Launched in India