Apple has announced that iOS 4.2, the latest version of mobile operating system, is now available for globally download for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch devices. The Apple’s iOS 4.2 brings over 100 new features from iOS 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 to iPad including Multitasking, Folders, Unified Inbox, Game Center, AirPlay and AirPrint.
“iOS 4.2 makes the iPad a completely new product, just in time for the holiday season”, said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Once again, the iPad with iOS 4.2 will define the target that other tablets will aspire to, but very few, if any, will ever be able to hit”.
The latest iOS 4.2 allows iPad users to now run their favourite apps and switch between them instantly, while preserving iPad’s legendary battery life. Users can organise their apps with drag-and-drop simplicity using Folders, and Mail now features a Unified Inbox, fast inbox switching and a threaded message view.
Game Center in new iOS 4.2 allows iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users to challenge and play friends or be matched automatically with new opponents, showcase their scores and achievements, and discover new games their friends are playing.
Apple’s iOS 4.2 operating system introduces AirPlay, a new feature for streaming music, video and photos wirelessly from iPad, iPhone and iPod touch to Apple TV, transforming Apple TV into a great accessory for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. iOS users also will be able to use AirPort Express and AirPlay to stream wirelessly to any stereo or powered speakers, or directly to AirPlay-enabled speakers coming to market in the months ahead.
AirPrint in iOS 4.2 is a next-generation Wi-Fi print architecture that dramatically simplifies printing by completely eliminating printer drivers as a selection of AirPrint enabled printers including the HP Photosmart, HP LaserJet Pro and HP Officejet will be the first to support printing direct from iOS devices. iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users can simply tap to print their documents or photos wirelessly to any printer that supports AirPrint.
In the updated Apple’s iOS 4.2 operating system release, the Find My iPhone (or iPad or iPod touch) feature is now free to use without a MobileMe subscription and helps you locate your missing device. The Find My iPhone app is a free download on the App Store and lets users easily locate a missing device on a map and have it display a message or play a sound. Users can even remotely lock or wipe data from a lost device to protect privacy.
Other new features that iOS 4.2 brings to the iPad include:
- ability to rent TV episodes directly to iPad using the iTunes App with a 30 day viewing window and a 48 hour session window once playback is started
- the ability to easily find and highlight specific words and phrases on web pages in Safari
- enhanced enterprise support so businesses can take advantage of stronger security features, new device management capabilities and improved enterprise integration; industry-leading accessibility enhancements
- support for 25 additional languages, including Korean, Portuguese and Traditional Chinese.
The iOS 4.2 update is already available since 22nd Nov 2010, to download to iPad, iPhone and iPod touch by syncing the device with iTunes 10.1. iOS 4.2 is compatible with iPad, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, second and third generation iPod touch (late 2009 models with 32GB or 64GB) and new iPod touch. Some features may not be available on all products. For example, Multitasking requires iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, third generation iPod touch (late 2009 models with 32GB or 64GB) or later.
- LARA CROFT AND THE GUARDIAN OF LIGHT App Now Available for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
- Apple Introduces iTune 10 With Ping Social Network; Also Offers HD TV Show
- Apple Sold Three Million iPads in 80 Days
- Apple Revealed Most Popular iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad Apps for 2010
- Apple iPad 2 Announced – is 33% Thinner and 15% Lighter than Original iPad
- Apple iPad Tablet Computer Launched, Only in US for Now
- Apple iPad 2 Launched in India – is 33% Thinner and 15% Lighter than Original iPad
- Beats by Dr. Dre and Monster Launches iBeats In-Ear Ultra Durable Headphones; Especially Designed for iPad, iPhone, and iPod
- JVC Launches JVC HA-FR50 Marshmallow Inner Ear Headphones For iPod, iPhone and iPad