Samsung today formally announced the release of Android 2.2 (Froyo) upgrade to the Samsung GALAXY S Smartphone, giving users access to new features, enhanced navigation applications and improved performance. The upgrade is currently released in UK market and it would roll out in other regions step by step. In India, the update might happen at the end of this November month.
The Android 2.2 upgrade will be available via Kies, Samsung’s unique in-house software upgrade program starting Moday 15th Nov’10. Kies can be downloaded at the Samsung mobile website.
“Froyo starts rolling out today; everyone will have it by the end of Nov. To prepare, get the latest version of Kies” – Samsung UK via its official Twitter feed earlier today
The Samsung GALAXY S i9000 smartphone is Samsung’s cleverly designed smartphone with a bright 4.0 inch, 480 x 800 pixels 16-Million colors capable Super AMOLED Capacitive touchscreen and is powered by a 1-GHz ARM Cortex A8 Processor and SGX540 GPU, giving users an intelligent, immersive and integrated mobile experience.
The Google’s Android 2.2 (FroYo) upgrade offers voice-controlled GPS through Google Maps with Navigation, faster performance by JIT (Just in Time) compiler. The mobile AP settings which allows users to convert the their Android handset into a mobile sharable WiFi hotspot now has advanced options and is believed to be more secure.
Among other new feature in FroYo there is a new more advanced settings of USB port connection allowing more options while a USB is connected or to ask when any device gets connected and ‘Display and Sound’ option now separated into Display and Sound options under Settings allowing more options.
Additionally, further functionalities including Search in-browser, Adobe Flash Player 10.1, improved customization options will be provided with OS upgrade. More local languages support has been added in addition to introduction of an advance function ‘Sensor Aiding’, that allows users to fine tune sensing the position of a walker and also aid in conserving battery.
Android 2.2 Key Features
- Google Maps with Navigation – GPS navigation system with voice guidance
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1 – Allow the web browser to make full use of the whole web
- New Setup Wizard – Quickly customize the GALAXY S and access networks with ease
- Home Screen/Menu Preview and Edit : Preview by pinch-zoom
- New Search in-Browser : Google, Translate, Wikipedia, Dictionary
- JIT Compiler
- New Android Market with automatic App updates
- Improved Keyboard
- Quicker link to GPS and GPS glitch fixed
- New Media Hun Application
- Improved MS Exchange support
- New Gmail application
- Improved user interface of Media Player
- Dark Menu Theme
- In-browser search for Google, Dictionary, Wikipedia and Translate
- Video recording in MP4 file format
- New Media Scanning Status bar
The “Home Screen/Menu Preview and Edit” features allows Preview by pinch-zoom, something similar to what HTC’s Leap feature.
How to upgrade Galaxy S to Android 2.2 FroYo
The Android 2.2 (Froyo) upgrade for Samsung Galaxy S smartphone will be available only via Samsung Kies (135MB), Samsung’s unique in-house software upgrade program, starting today Monday 15th Nov’10 for users in UK region and it would roll out in other regions throughout November month. In India, the update might happen towards Nov’10 end or mid Dec’10.
Update: 16 Nov’10
Samsung Korea has announced the Android 2.2 update for their Samsung Galaxy S and Galaxy A smartphone users in Korea.
Update: 17 Nov’10
Samsung Galaxy S users in Middle-East and Arabic Gulf region are now receiving Android 2.2 Froyo update in Arabic languages via Kies interface.
Update: 18 Nov’10
Samsung Mobile Canada officially announced on their Facebook page their plans for Android 2.2 FroYo update for Samsung Galaxy S series devices viz. Vibrant, Captivate, Fascinate smartphones that starts on 15th December 2010.
- Samsung Vibrant (Bell) and Captivate (Rogers) – 15th Dec’10.
- Samsung Fascinate (TELLUS) – January 2011.
Update: 23 Nov’10
Android 2.2 FroYo update for Samsung Galaxy S series has now arrived in Singapore. No news of the update in US, Australia and India as yet, though the update is now expected to move towards southeast Asian countries (Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines..) by end of the 2010.
Update: 29 Nov’10
Android 2.2 Froyo update for Samsung Galaxy S smartphone has finally arrived in India. Users would need to download FRESH update of Kies software which on reboot would update on the firmware upgrade.
- Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2 Upgrade in India Finally Goes Live!
- HTC Wildfire Android 2.2 FroYo Update Rolls Out in India
- Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Android Smartphone Announced
- Samsung Galaxy Mini / Pop S5570 Entry-Level Android 2.2 Powered Smartphone Announced
- Samsung Galaxy Fit S5670 Android Powered Smartphone in India for Rs. 11,499
- Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660 Android Powered Smartphone Announced
- Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Android Smartphone Retails in India For Rs. 14,990
- Samsung Galaxy Fit S5670 Entry-Level Android 2.2 Powered Smartphone Announced
- Samsung GALAXY Ace (S5830) Android Powered Smartphone Launched in India