Panasonic today announced the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GH2 DSLM Camera, a hybrid touch-control camera featuring full High Definition (HD) video recording and compatibility with the world’s first interchangeable 3D lens.
The new LUMIX DMC-GH2 DSLM Camera is company’s revolutionary new addition to LUMIX G Series of Digital Single Lens Micro (DSLM) cameras that deliver professional-level features and performance in a compact and easy-to-use camera body.
Compatible with the Micro Four Thirds System standard, the lightweight LUMIX DMC-GH2 DSLM Camera is newly designed with an easy-to-hold grip and includes a refined image processing engine and sensor that delivers fast, sharp photos, full HD video recording, and the ability to take 3D photos with Panasonic’s new interchangeable 3D lens.
The LUMIX DMC-GH2 DSLM Camera combines features for both the videographer and photographer, making it a true hybrid digital camera. A dedicated button on the top of the camera lets users instantly record videos while shooting photos without changing any extra settings.
Building on its successful predecessor, the Panasonic LUMIX GH1, the new LUMIX DMC-GH2 DSLM Camera can now record full HD 1920 x 1080 videos in smooth 60i, doubling the sensor output from 25p/24p to 50p/60p. The camera also supports 1080/24p native mode at 24 Mbps, the highest in AVCHD format, for richly expressive video.
Other video features in the LUMIX GH2 include:
- New Cinema mode: Record video with rich cinema-like gradation. Added as an option of popular Film mode.
- New Variable Movie mode: Record video in variable frame rate – 80, 160, 200 and 300 percent – speeding up or slowing frames for more creative videos.
- Touh auto focus (AF): Point at the subject on the screen and shift focus to make it stand out against the background.
- Still photos at (16:9): Instantly take a 14MP photo, while recording videos and also save a frame of video as a photo during playback.
- Record high quality sound: With Dolby Digital Stereo Creator and optional accessory Stereo Microphone (DMW-MS).
- HDMI output: Monitor images on a separate screen while still recording video.
The new LUMIX DMC-GH2 DSLM Camera includes a new 16.05-megapixel multi-aspect LIVE MOS sensor that delivers higher image resolution and improved signal-to-noise ratio. The LIVE MOS sensor also allows high speed burst shooting at 5 frames per second in full resolution using a mechanical shutter.
The new Venus Engine FHD processor in combination with the Live MOS sensor manages multiple signals at a high speed, making it possible to record high resolution consecutive shots and full HD video recording.
The LUMIX DMC-GH2 DSLM Camera also features intuitive touch-control operation, made popular with the LUMIX G2 for its outstanding usability in shooting and playback and combines the easy-to-see free-angle Intelligent LCD with the newly developed Multi Aspect Wide Screen LVF (Live View Finder) for more comfortable shooting from any angle.
The LUMIX DMC-GH2 DSLM Camera is equipped with a large 3.0-inch 460,000-dot high-resolution Intelligent LCD allows users to:
- Touch the subject on the LCD to adjust AF. Once a user locks onto a subject, the camera tracks the subject with AF tracking even if it moves. Then, with a touch of the screen, users can select the area of focus appropriate mode (e.g., portrait) and even enlarge an image (1x, 5x or 10x) by dragging it on the screen.
- Touch and view the screen from any angle, rotating the screen 180° side to side and tilting it 270° up and down for approximately 100 percent of field of view.
- Change menu settings quickly by touching the screen, shortcutting the time it would take to navigate using standard cursors.
- Touch thumbnails to play back images one by one or drag images over the screen with a finger to browse the collection of photos, as though flipping the pages of a book.
- View primary colors – red, blue and green – 25 percent more vividly when compared to the GH1, thanks to a newly designed LCD and LED backlight.
The new large, bright Multi Aspect Wide Screen LVF in the LUMIX GH2 features:
- A display area of 1,530,000-dot equivalent resolution.
- 100 percent field of view and 0.71x magnification.
- Reduced color breakup by half for stunning images at any angle.
- Live View at 60 frames-per-second because of the Live MOS sensor, which processes signals directly from the image sensor to the LCD in real time. This allows the user to check the framing accurately from corner to corner when composing a shot.
The new LUMIX DMC-GH2 DSLM Camera can shoot in 3D (35mm camera equivalent: 65mm) when used with the world’s first interchangeable 3D lens LUMIX G 12.5mm / F12 (H-FT012), also announced today.
Panasonic’s new compact 3D lens for the LUMIX G Micro System features two optical systems installed within the diameter of the lens mount, creating stereo images from the left and right lenses that are then processed with a 3D image processing system.
The LUMIX DMC-GH2 DSLM Camera also features new additions to the iA mode including Intelligent D-range Control for optimized exposure of an image and Intelligent Resolution for better-balanced sharpness in images for printing at larger sizes.
The LUMIX DMC-GH2 DSLM Camera comes preloaded with several softwares including PHOTOfunSTUDIO 6.0 BD Edition which allows to easily organize photos and movies, SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.1 SE for RAW file development and Super LoiloScope (trial version) for high speed HD movie editing.
“The LUMIX GH2 is Panasonic’s most professional-level DSLM camera yet, giving users the option to be more creative than ever, from recording video in full HD with cinematic effects to taking 3D photos with our new lens,” said Darin Pepple, Senior Product Manager, Imaging, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. “At the same time, its compact size can fit in the palm of your hand and its faster auto focus and intuitive touch-control shooting make it possible for even new photographers to literally point-and-shoot for stunning images.”
Price and Availability
The LUMIX DMC-GH2 Digital Single Lens Micro (DSLM) Camera will be available in black and silver models in early December 2010 in three different kit options for a suggested retail price of: $899.95 or about Rs. 41,000 (Body only); $999.95 or Rs. 45,570 (Body with lens LUMIX G VARIO 14-42 mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S.); $1,499.95 or about Rs. 68,340 (Body with lens LUMIX G VARIO HD 14-140mm/F4.0-5.8 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S.).