Olympus today announced the launch of the Olympus E-5 Digital SLR Camera, the flagship model of the Olympus E-System series of interchangeable lens type digital SLR cameras that promises the outstanding imaging capability with ZUIKO DIGITAL lenses.
The Olympus E-5 Digital SLR Camera is the new flagship model of the Olympus E-Series digital SLR camera lineup. The successor to the popular E-3, which came out in November 2007 and offered image quality designed to meet the demanding requirements of professionals and high-level amateurs, as well as the durability to withstand the most severe operating conditions, the E-5 inherits the highly reliable dust/splash-proof construction of the E-3 and the excellent imaging capability of ZUIKO DIGITAL.
The new Olympus E-5 Digital SLR Camera, offers highest Image quality available from any of our cameras, made possible by a 12.3-megapixel High-Speed Live MOS Sensor that maximizes the superior imaging potential of ZUIKO DIGITAL lenses together with the “TruePic V+” image processing engine with new “Fine-Detail Processing” technology.
The Olympus E-5 Digital SLR Camera also offers high reliability thanks to a rugged magnesium-alloy body, dust/splash-proof construction, and high-power Dust Reduction System.
In addition, the new Olympus E-5 Digital SLR Camera incorporates an array of impressive new features such as the multiple exposure, electronic level gauge and imager AF first introduced on the E-30 (released in December 2008), the advanced image processing engine popularized by the OLYMPUS PEN series, plus new Art Filter and HD movie functions.
Like the Olympus E-3 Digital SLR Camera, the new Olympus E-5 Digital SLR Camera features a dust- and splash-proof body that makes extensive use of seals and is made of lightweight but rigid magnesium alloy. Any dust that does manage to penetrate to the image sensor is quickly removed by Olympus’s industry-leading Dust Reduction System.
The Olympus E-5 Digital SLR Camera features “TruePic V+” image processing engine with new Fine-Detail Processing technology which enhances the sense of detail and resolution, maximizing the potential of the 12.3-megapixel High-Speed Live MOS Sensor to deliver pictures that are sharper and clearer than ever before.
All of this works together to make the most of the imaging capability of ZUIKO DIGITAL lenses, which have already built an enviable reputation for outstanding performance.
To make it easy for users to take advantage of all that imaging power, the Olympus E-5 Digital SLR Camera also boasts the 3-inch VGA HyperCrystal LCD monitor with dual-axis swivelling system for more comfortable and more flexible Live View shooting of movies and still photographs.
The E-5’s maximum shutter speed is 1/8000 sec., with flash synchronization at 1/250 sec. When used with the FL-50R or FL-36R external flash units, it also supports the use of Super FP flash for daylight synchro (fill-in flash) shooting at shutter speeds up to 1/8000 sec., and its maximum continuous shooting speed is 5 frames per second.
720p HD Movie Recording and HDMI Output
The Olympus E-5 Digital SLR Camera allows HD-quality movie recording with the widescreen 16:9 (1280 x 720, 30 fps) aspect ratio, as well as with the standard 4:3 (640 x 480, 30 fps) ratio.
The electronic image stabilization mechanism is built into the body so it can stabilize movie images and reduce camera shake regardless of the lens used.
Manual controls (exposure, shutter speed, ISO sensitivity) and Art Filters can also be used when shooting movies. The camera can be connected to an HDMI-equipped TV set via a commercially available HDMI–HDMI Mini cable to view high-quality HD movies and still images.
CF/SD dual slots
The Olympus E-5 Digital SLR Camera also features two slots are provided to allow use of both a CompactFlash (CF Type I) and an SD card (SDHC or SDXC). Data can be copied between different media and a second card can be used to backup the main card used for recording.
Key Features of Olympus E-5 Digital SLR Camera
- The world’s fastest AF with 11 Point-Full-Twin Cross AF Sensors
- High-speed shutter of 1/8000 sec., High-speed sequential shooting of 5 frames/sec.
- Responsive Live View shooting featuring imager AF compatible with any Four Thirds System lens and High-Speed Imager AF
- Built-in image stabilization mechanism with compensation up to 5 EV steps
- Ten Art Filters including the new “Dramatic Tone” effect
- Picture modes, including the newly added “i-FINISH” mode, now control Art Filters to add a sophisticated final touch to images
- 720p HD movie and HDMI output for high-quality image
- CF/SD dual slots for expandable memory
- Large optical viewfinder with 100% field of view and 1.15x magnification
- Extended function buttons and “My Set”
- Underwater white balance control
- 2-frame and 7-frame AE bracketing functions added
- Indication of the level gauge in/on the viewfinder, Control panel, Rear LCD monitor
- Two dials plus cursor keys with high operability convenient for playback view
- Multiple-exposure function to superimpose current view on top of previously captured image
- Built-in flash with Commander function for wireless off-camera flash synchronization
- Durable high-speed shutter tested to 150,000 releases
Price and Availability
The Olympus E-5 Digital SLR Camera is scheduled for release on the end of October, 2010 in US market for $1700 or about Rs. 77,470 approx.
- Olympus PEN E-P2 Black-on-Black Kit Launched
- Olympus Bluetooth-Capable PEN E-PL2 Compact Digital Camera Announced
- Olympus XZ-1 10 Megapixel Compact Digital Camera Announced; Offers 3X Optical Zoom & 720p HD Video Recording
- Olympus VG-130 and VG-120 14 Megapixels Digital Camera Launched; Offers 5x Wide Optical Zoom & Digital Image Stabilisation
- PENTAX Announces K-r Series 12 MP Digital SLR Camera; Offers 720p HD Video Recording
- NIKON D3100 Digital-SLR Camera Launched; Offers Full 1080p HD Video Recording
- Olympus Launches T-100 Digital Camera With 12 Megapixel Image Sensor
- Olympus FE-4000 Digital Camera Features 12 Megapixel Image Sensor & 4X Wide Angle Optical Zoom
- NIKON D7000 Digital-SLR Camera Launched; Offers Full 1080p HD Video Recording