FUJIFILM has announced the new FujiFilm FinePix X100 High-Grade Compact Digital Camera that features an APS-C CMOS sensor, a Fujinon 23mm fixed focal length lens and a newly developed Hybrid Viewfinder, due for commercial release in early 2011.
The FujiFilm FinePix X100 digital camera is aimed at the professional photographer or keen enthusiast looking for exceptional quality pictures from a compact camera and is designed to appeal to the millions of DSLR users who need a slim back-up camera for high quality in-fill shots when the use of a bigger SLR system is either inconvenient or impractical.
Fujifilm claims that having closely studied the current line-up of professional cameras, company feels that there is a strong need for a compact high-quality (APS-C based) camera as a counterpoint to an SLR.
The FujiFilm FinePix X100 digital camera features the highest quality possible lens and sensor combination, built from the ground-up. The lens chosen is a fixed, prime F2 lens, made by Fujinon, manufactured to perfectly match the APS-C custom sensor. Added to this is the newly-developed EXR Processor, which combines all the latest image processing technology Fujifilm has technology built up over the years.
The FujiFilm FinePix X100 digital camera offers a number of technical developments that will set this camera apart from other contenders. The main technologies employed in this camera are as follows:
Hybrid Viewfinder (New Development)
The Hybrid Viewfinder on the ujiFilm FinePix X100 digital camera combines the window-type “bright frame” optical viewfinder found in high-end film cameras such as 35mm or medium-format cameras, and the electronic viewfinder system incorporated in fixed single lens or mirrorless digital cameras.
By using integrating a prism for the 1,440,000 dot LCD panel image on the viewing screen in the reverse-Galilean optical finder, the Hybrid Viewfinder can show both the shooting frame and a variety of shooting data.
The LCD screen can also be used as a high-quality electronic viewfinder to compose or playback shots. With this ability to instantly switch between optical and electronic viewfinder images with simple “one touch” control.
The new Hybrid Viewfinder offers users expanded freedom in the composition and enjoyment of photography in a range of challenging shooting conditions.
Specifications for the Hybrid Viewfinder:
- The reverse Galilean optical finder with a 0.5x magnification features all-glass elements made from high-refractive index glass and demonstrates low chromatic aberration and distortion.
- In optical viewfinder mode, the brightness of both the “bright frame” and text data is automatically adjusted according to the brightness of scene area, ensuring that shooting information is always easily and clearly viewable.
- Displayed shooting data is constantly updated according to changes in shutter speed, exposure, sensitivity and other settings.
- In electronic viewfinder mode, the photographer can preview the picture or playback the result with the “through the sensor” image review. Available with one-touch switching ease, this capability enables the user to preview and confirm exposure settings, depth-of-field effects, white balance, and macro shots
12.3 Megapixel APS-C CMOS Digital Sensor
The FujiFilm FinePix X100 digital camera features a custom CMOS high-performance sensor, internally optimized and developed exclusively for this model.
Optimization of the angle-of-incidence in conjunction with the specially developed lens maximizes light gathering efficiency extending to the perimeter of the sensor for a sharper image with exceptional clarity.
When shooting HD movies, the combination of the large-sized sensor and the large aperture F2 lens, lets users shoot a soft out-of-focus touch (bokeh) – a capability not available in conventional compact cameras.
23mm F2 FUJINON (Aspherical) Lens
The newly-developed 23mm FUJINON lens offers a focal length of 23mm (135 equivalent: 35mm) and a widest aperture of F2. Made from molded glass, the lens contains 8 elements in 6 groups.
The adoption of the non-collapsible lens structure with minimized lens length not only contributes to the compact size but also eliminates telescoping of the lens when the power is on
Exploiting the merits of fixed focal length lens, this lens delivers sharp resolution of the total image from the center to the corners. In addition, the lens features not only the large F2 aperture value, but also an optical architecture that maintains a high degree of resolution even when closed by 1 to 2 stops.
The 23mm FUJINON lens lens uses a 9-blade aperture diaphragm. A large F2 aperture and high-quality optics let users take beautiful photos with a soft out-of-focus (bokeh) effect. Besides, the lens enables macro shooting as close as 10 cm.
EXR Processor (New Development)
When combined with the high-performance lens and high-sensitivity sensor, the newly developed FujiFilm EXR Processor achieves the highest definition, sensitivity and wide dynamic range image quality of any digital camera produced by Fujifilm.
The graphical interface including style and rendering of the LCD information has been upgraded in the newly developed LSI to enhance the user experience and to improve the clarity of the information presented.
Claimed to have been inspired by the beauty and form of classic cameras from the past, the FujiFilm FinePix X100 digital camera combines all the latest technical digital innovations in a beautiful, traditional chassis which oozes class and prestige.
The camera controls have been carefully thought out to give the photographer simple and speedy access to aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc, to allow maximum creative expression with minimum hassle. Custom modes can also be used for a one-touch change in settings.
The upper control deck/bottom surface has been cast from magnesium alloy (semi-solid metal casting) to contribute to a high-precision camera body with high rigidity.
All dials on the upper control deck of FujiFilm FinePix X100 digital camera are fabricated from metal. Adoption of traditional ’manual‘ dials lets the user confirm the position of the settings without turning on the power.
The chassis of FujiFilm FinePix X100 digital camera has been finished with high-quality leather accents and is a delight to use and a pleasure to hold.
Price and Availability
The FujiFilm FinePix X100 digital camera is expected to be commercially available sometime early 2011, though Fuji has not revealed its price in any market.
- Fujifilm Launches FinePix T200 Digital Camera in India for Rs. 10,990
- Fujifilm Introduces 14 New Digital Cameras in India Market
- Fujifilm FinePix F300EXR Digital Camera Launched Featuring 15X Long-Zoom and HD 720p Video Capture
- Fujifilm FinePix S2800HD 14-MP Long Zoom Digital Camera Launched; Offers HD 720p Video Capture
- Fujifilm FinePix JX280 14-MP Ultra-compact J-Series Digital Camera Launched; Offers HD 720p Video Capture
- FujiFilm FinePix S1800 Super-Zoom Digital Camera Launched in India; Offers HD 720p Movie Recording
- FujiFilm FinePix S2500HD Super-Zoom Digital Camera Launched in India; Offers HD 720p Movie Recording
- Fujifilm FinePix JV150 14-MP Ultra-compact J-Series Digital Camera Launched; Offers HD 720p Video Recording
- Fujifilm FinePix JV100 12-MP Ultra-compact J-Series Digital Camera Launched; Offers HD 720p Video Recording