Kingston has announced today the launch of its first USB 3.0 Flash drive, the Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 (DTU30) Flash Drive, that takes advantage of the faster USB 3.0 specification that has up to ten times the data transfer rates of the current USB 2.0 specification.
The Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 USB flash drive offers read speed of 80MB/sec. and a write speed of 60MB/sec. via USB 3.0 interface and is available in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB storage capacities.
To ensure backwards compatibility, Kingston has also included a Y cable in DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 flash drive (DTU30) as some USB 2.0 ports require it to initialize USB 3.0 drives.
The combination of ultra-high data read/write speed and size makes it ideal for data backup or fast transferring of large files including music, high resolution photos, documents, HD videos and more.
The USB 3.0 is the next generation of the Universal Serial Bus interface that offers the same ease-of-use and plug and play capabilities as previous generations of USB technologies but with a 10X performance increase and better power management.
This performance increase is achieved through the SuperSpeed technology, which allows multiple streams of data transfer and boosts its peak bandwidth to 4.8Gbp/s (~572MB/s). USB 3.0 devices are compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 ports and connectors but won’t run at SuperSpeed without USB 3.0 devices, cables and USB ports with a USB 3.0 host controller.
The higher speed and reduced power consumption for the USB 3.0 specification uses advanced mechanisms and techniques similar to ones used for other high bandwidth interfaces, such as the PCI Express (PCIe) specification.
According to Kingston, during an internal testing, a 1 hour 44 minute movie (3.9GB) was written to the drive in 1 minute 13 seconds while a 2 hour 23 minute DVD (4.4GB) video transferred to the drive took only 1 minute 23 seconds.
“USB 3.0 is the next major milestone in Flash memory for USB products and Kingston wants to have a solution in the marketplace for early adopters,” said Andrew Ewing, USB business manager, Kingston. “The DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 is our first USB 3.0 Flash drive offering and is designed for enthusiasts who like to embrace new technology before it goes mainstream.”
Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 (DTU30) Features and Specifications:
- Capacities – 16GB, 32GB, 64GB
- Requirements – system with USB 3.0 port
- Backwards compatible** – with USB 2.0
- Data transfer rates for USB 3.0 – Up to 80MB/sec. read and 60MB/sec. write
- Data transfer rate for USB 2.0 – Up to 30MB/sec. read and 30MB/sec. write
- Dimensions – 2.90″ x 0.87″ x 0.63″ (73.70 mm x 22.20 mm x 16.10 mm)
- Operating Temperature – 32° to 140°F (0° to 60°C)
- Storage Temperature – -4° to 185°F (-20° to 85°C)
- Practical – durable casing with a solid lanyard loop
- Compatible with Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP Sp3
Price and Availability
The Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 USB Flash drive is backed by a five-year warranty, and is expected to be available worldwide by October 2010. For more information visit www.kingston.com.
- Kingston Announces DataTraveler-310 USB Flash Drive With 256-GB Capacity
- Kingston DataTraveler DT110 USB Flash Drive
- Kingston Launches DataTraveler Mini Fun G2 USB Flash Drive
- Kingston Unveils Data traveler Elite 3.0 USB Flash Drive
- Kingston DataTraveler DT400 USB Flash Drive
- Kingston Launches DataTraveler 5000 USB Flash Drive, Offering 256-bit AES Hardware-based Encryption
- Kingston Launches 16-GB/32-GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card
- Kingmax ED-01 USB 3.0 Powered Flash Drive Launched in India
- Kingston Launches 64GB SDXC UHS-1 Class 10 Memory Card