Samsung and AT&T today announced the upcoming availability of the Samsung CAPTIVATE Galaxy S Smartphone. The Android 2.1-powered Samsung Captivate will bring users a fully integrated entertainment, messaging and social networking experience packaged in an alluring, streamlined design surrounding a stunning 4-inch display.
The Samsung Captivate smartphone represents a new breed of smartphones powered by the open and innovative Google Android platform, with full support of Google Mobile Services including Android Market, Google Search, Google Maps, Gmail, YouTube, Google Talk and more and users can also access the Android Market and customize their experience with more than 75,000 exciting and useful applications.
The Samsung Captivate smartphone also features Samsung’s Super AMOLED display screen technology, a 1 GHz Samsung Hummingbird Application Processor and Samsung Social Hub, a feature that integrates the user’s social networking services, messages, personal and business email, calendars and contacts.
The Samsung Captivate Galaxy S smartphone provides a premium viewing experience on its large, brilliant 4-inch 480 x 800 pixels display powered by Samsung’s Super AMOLED touch screen technology.
Super AMOLED technology yields thinner displays, delivering one of the thinnest, most responsive full-featured smartphones in the industry. Samsung’s innovative display technology makes watching movies, viewing videos and playing games come to life like never before, even in bright light and outdoor environments.
In addition, the Samsung Captivate smartphone is equipped with a six-axis sensor that combines the smartphone’s accelerometer and gyroscope to provide a smooth, fluid gaming experience when the user is tilting the device up or down or panning the phone to the left or right.
The Samsung Captivate smartphone’s user interface also supports a series of advanced touch screen gestures capabilities including multi-touch pinch, long tap and zoom and vertical and horizontal swiping. This series of versatile gestures provide easier and quicker access to many applications including location-based services, Web browsing and digital photos.
The Samsung Captivate is powered by a 1 GHz Samsung Hummingbird Application Processor, which produces amazing 3-D graphics, faster upload and download times and full richness of HD-like multimedia content. The Captivate also features built-in 3D sound capabilities, giving the user surround-sound stereo quality, when listening on hard-wired headphones.
The Samsung Captivate smartphone keeps users connected with Samsung’s Social Hub to easily keep in touch with family and friends through integrated contacts, calendars, social networking sites and group messaging.
Additionally, calendar information from portal calendars, such as Google Calendar, and social networking services are displayed together in one calendar with two-way synchronization.
The familiar text messaging experience is enhanced with group messaging and “reply all” functionality for up to 10 contacts, a threaded conversations format, a consolidated inbox, and enhanced multi-media display.
Samsung Captivate offers support for push email and integrated calendar services, including Google and Yahoo for consumers and small businesses and ActiveSync for enterprise users. Messaging is simple and easy with the Captivate’s virtual QWERTY keyboard with Swype technology, which allows users to input text faster and in a more intuitive way with one continuous finger motion across the screen keyboard.
The Samsung Captivate phone also features Samsung’s All Share application, which enables inter-device connectivity through DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) technology, allowing users to send user-generated video content wirelessly to other DLNA-enabled devices, such as TV’s, monitors and laptops, allowing for a rich, interactive entertainment experience.
The Samsung Captivate is packed full of features that includes 5.0-megapixel camera with camcorder, auto-focus and HD video recording in 720p HD resolution, MP3 player, 3.5-millimeter headphone jack and up to 16 GB internal memory which allows for up to 32 GB maximum via microSD card.
The Captivate also includes AT&T Navigator, which offers voice-guided and visual turn-by-turn GPS driving directions with automatic reroute, full-color maps, and real-time traffic alerts and AT&T Family Map, which gives families the ability to track a child’s location from a PC or cell phone and request location updates at any time.
Additional key specifications of the Captivate include Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, full HTML browser with tap & hold zoom, Bluetooth 3.0 technology, and also includes tri-band 3G connectivity and quad-band GSM technology, which allows AT&T customers to make calls in more than 220 countries and download data in more than 195.
Key features of Samsung CAPTIVATE Smartphone include:
- Android 2.1 platform – With support for Google Mobile Services including Gmail, YouTube, Google Talk and Android Market
- Full HTML Web browsing capabilities
- Preloaded with Bing Maps and Bing Search
- 3G Mobile HotSpot capabilities – Allows customers to transform their phone into a wireless modem for up to five compatible Wi-Fi-enabled devices
- Super AMOLED Screen Technology – Brilliant display makes watching movies, viewing videos and playing games come to life like never before, even in bright light and outdoor environments
- Advanced touch screen gestures capabilities, including multi-touch pinch to zoom, double tap to zoom and horizontal swiping, which provides easier and quicker access to many applications, including location-based services, Web browsing and digital photos or videos
- Multiple file formats supported, including DivX support
- Samsung 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird Application Processor – Produces amazing graphics, faster upload and download times and HD-like multimedia content
- Six-axis sensor that works with the smartphone’s accelerometer to provide a smooth, fluid gaming experience when the user is tilting the device up or down or panning the phone to the left or right
- Virtual QWERTY Keyboard Featuring Swype Technology – Input text faster and in a more intuitive way with one continuous finger motion across the screen keyboard
- Full suite of messaging options – Text, picture, video and voice messaging; corporate and personal e-mail accounts supported
- 5.0-megapixel camera/camcorder – Auto-focus and LED flash with HD video recording and playback (720p) capabilities to capture photos and videos for playback on your HD television
- WiFi Connectivity 802.11 b/g/n
- Stereo Bluetooth Technology – Support for headset, hands-free, stereo, phonebook access, object push for vCard and vCalendar
- Corporate Email – Supports Android Eclair Exchange ActiveSync e-mail to synchronize corporate e-mail, contacts and calendars from office e-mail accounts
- Music and video players and 3.5-millimeter headphone jack
- 16GB internal memory expandable to 32GB, 16GB microSD included with handset
The Samsung Captivate is scheduled for release in the coming months at AT&T retail locations nationwide.