Seagate announced the launch of Seagate Momentus XT Hard Disk Drive, claimed to be the world’s fastest 2.5-inch laptop PC hard drive that combining SSD-like performance with the massive capacity and much lower cost of HDDs.
The Seagate Momentus XT solid state hybrid drive boots up to 100 percent faster than traditional 5400RPM drives, the mainstream spin speed for laptop PCs, and sets new benchmarks for real-world system performance for laptops and gaming systems.
Ironically, today’s high-performance SSDs drives cost as much as 10 times more than hard disk drives of the same capacity, with the price of a 250GB SSD outstripping even the cost of many laptop PCs. Additionally, SSDs offer fewer capacity options than hard disk drives.
The Seagate Momentus XT drive is a best-of-both-worlds solution that combines a 7200RPM spin speed, 4GB of solid state memory and Seagate’s Adaptive Memory technology to deliver unprecedented hard drive performance.
Seagate’s unique Adaptive Memory technology works by identifying patterns in how often certain digital data is used, and then moving the most frequently used information to the embedded solid state memory for faster access – effectively tailoring hard drive performance to each user and their applications.
“We see the Momentus XT drive as a game changer, a product heralding a new generation of hard drives that combine SSD and HDD capabilities so that laptop users don’t have to make trade-offs on speed, cost or capacity,” said Dave Mosley, Seagate executive vice president of Sales, Marketing and Product Line Management. “The feedback we’ve received from customers, industry experts and early reviews has been overwhelmingly positive, and Seagate will continue to drive innovation that provides more value and a better computing experience to consumers.”
ASUS has already announced that it will offer the Seagate Momentus XT drive as an upgrade option for its new Republic of Gamers (ROG) G73Jh notebook. The system is powered by an Intel i7-720Qm quad-core processor, featuring 8GB of DDR3 memory, and DX11 capable ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5870 dedicated graphics.
- Adaptive Memory technology
- 80% faster than traditional 7200–RPM drives
- Boots within seconds of a laptop with SSD
- Works in any standard laptop with any OS
- Seagate 5-year Limited Warranty
- Available in 500GB, 320GB, and 250GB Capacities
- SATA 3Gb/s interface
The Momentus XT drive installs as easily as a traditional 9.5mm-high notebook drive for new systems or laptop upgrades and, unlike early hybrid drives, operates independently of the operating system and the motherboard chipset.
Besides the Momentus XT drive, Seagate also announced to deliver the world’s highest capacity 7200RPM drive at 750GB. This new Seagate Momentus 750GB drive is a traditional hard disk drive designed for mainstream to high-performance computing and external backup enclosures.
The Seagate Momentus 750GB drive also features a SATA 3Gb/s with NCQ interface, 16MB cache with silent acoustics and low power consumption. The Momentus 750GB drive delivers high capacity with high performance and further enhances the feature-rich options already available in the Seagate Momentus family of 2.5-inch notebook drives.
Price and Availability
In India the Seagate Momentus XT drive is available in 250GB, 320GB and 500GB storage capacities for Rs. 6,800, Rs. 7,400 and Rs. 8,150 respectively, with one year warranty.
- Seagate GoFlex Slim 320GB Capacity Slimmest Ever External HDD Launched in India
- Seagate Launches 750GB Hard Drive
- Seagate Launches Savvio 10K.2 and Barracuda ES hard drives
- Intel Launched Affordable X25-V Value SATA Solid State Drive (SSD)
- Transcend 192-GB Solid State Drive Launched
- Corsair FORCE Series 3 Solid State Drives Announced with SATA III 6Gbps Interface
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1-Terabyte Hard Disk Launched
- Seagate BlackArmor PS110 USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Offers 5-GBps Data Transfer Speed
- Seagate Unveils 10 New Data Storage Products In India