Skype has announced the release of its popular Skype application on three Sony Ericsson smartphones based on the Symbian platform, which is the world’s most popular smartphone platform.
Users of Sony Ericsson’s flagship smartphones Satio, Vivaz and Vivaz pro can now use Skype on the move, over either a WiFi or mobile data connection connected over wither 3G network, GPRS, EDGE.
Skype is software that enables the world’s conversations. Millions of individuals and businesses use Skype to make free video and voice calls, send instant messages and share files with other Skype users. Everyday, people everywhere also use Skype to make low-cost calls to landlines and mobiles.
Skype for Symbian enables users to:
- Make free Skype-to-Skype calls to other Skype users anywhere in the world*
- Save money on calls and texts (SMS) to phones abroad.
- Send and receive instant messages to and from individuals or groups
- Share pictures, videos and other files.
- Receive calls to their existing online number
- See when Skype contacts are online and available to call or IM
- Easily import names and numbers from the phone’s address book
Skype for Symbian will run on any Sony Ericsson smartphone using Symbian ^1, the latest version of the Symbian platform.
“Applications for communication and social networking are incredibly popular with mobile users. The opportunity to use a world-class app like Skype, in combination with the excellent applications and capabilities we have already integrated into our Satio, Vivaz and Vivaz pro devices, will make up a compelling package to our customers,” said Kristian Tear, Executive Vice President and Head of Sales and Marketing at Sony Ericsson.
Users want to keep in contact with the people that are important to them without worrying about the cost, distance or whether they are away from a computer. The Skype makes its Skype application available on a wide range of mobile devices by entering relationships with operators and handset manufacturers allowing more people to take the Skype features they love with them on the move.
The Skype software can be downloaded now by visiting skype.com/m on a compatible handset including Sony Ericsson Satio, Vivaz and Vivaz pro handsets, and will also be made available on the Sony Ericsson Play Now arena at www.playnow-arena.com later this month.
- Sony Ericsson Announces Vivaz Pro Smartphone With QWERTY Keyboard and 720p Video Recording Support
- Download – Skype 2.5 Beta
- Sony Ericsson J120i Mobile Phone
- Sony Ericsson VH410 & VH110 Bluetooth Headsets Announced
- Philips Launch VOIP841 Skype Enabled Cordless Phone
- Sony Ericsson Launches J100i, J220 And J230 Mobile Phones
- Sony-Ericsson K-300 Mobile Phone
- Sony-Ericsson Z530i Mobile Phone
- Sony Ericsson K220i Mobile Phone