Mozilla has launched its first every mobile browser, Mobile Firefox 1.0, for Nokia’s open-source, Linux-based Mamo 5 Operating System capable Nokia N900 and N810 mobile devices.
Codenamed previously as Fennec, the mobile Firefox is built on the same engine as popular desktop Firefox 3.6 and is packed full of familiar features like tabs, addons, plugins etc.
Available only as beta till recently, the Mobile Firefox 1.0 for Nokia Maemo release version now support for over 40 popular add-ons in addition to support for popular Firefox plug-ins. View the catalog here, or search for and install add-ons directly from the Add-ons Manager. Extensions installed in the Firefox for Maemo 1.0 may require updates to achieve full functionality.
The Mobile Firefox 1.0 browser is only available for download for Nokia N900 and N810 smarphones running Nokia’s revolutionary open-source, Linux-based Mamo operating system. The release version for Firefox 1.0 mobile browser also lacks support for built-in Flash plug-in though Mozilla has released an add-on called YouTube enabler, that can be installed for view YouTube videos and flash enabled websites.
Firefox 1.0 for Maemo OS enabled Nokia phones offer a unique Weave Sync feature that synchronizes your Firefox history, saved passwords, bookmarks and open tabs between your desktop and Nokia N900. With Weave Sync, the Awesome Bar knows your browsing history regardless of which device you visited it on, your desktop, laptop, or Nokia N900 phone. Even your saved passwords from your desktop can be used to automatically fill out forms.
Built on the same browser engine as Firefox 3.6 for desktops with some extensive tweaking to optimize for mobile devices, Firefox 1.0 for Nokia N900 (and N810) is secure, powerful and customizable and is packed with your favorite features.
Some Key Features:
- Built on the same browser engine as Firefox 3.6 for the desktop
- Tabbed browsing with thumbnail images
- One-touch bookmarking
- Awesome Bar gets you to your favorite websites with minimal typing
- Seamlessly synchronizes your Firefox tabs, history, bookmarks and passwords between your desktop and mobile
- Location-Aware Browsing gives you info and maps relevant to your locale
- The first mobile Web browser to support add-ons that anyone can build and distribute to add new features and user experiences
- Instant Web site ID and customized security settings for safe browsing
- Available in more than 35 languages and counting
Download Firefox for Maemo by visiting Firefox.com/m on your Nokia N900 handset. You can also go to Firefox.com/mobile and send an SMS text message that contains the download link directly to your Nokia N900. If you don’t have an N900 you can download a build of Firefox for mobile to your desktop in order to test, provide feedback, and build add-ons.