Audacity is a open source, freeware, easy-to-use and multilingual personal audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and many other operating systems.
Audacity software can used to:
- Record live audio
- Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs
- Edit Ogg Vorbis, MP3, WAV or AIFF sound files
- Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together
- Change the speed or pitch of a recording
- Import and export WAV, AIFF, AU, and Ogg Vorbis files
- Edit and mix an unlimited number of tracks
You can use Audacity to import sound files, edit them, and combine them with other files or new recordings. Export your recordings in several common file formats.
- Easy editing with Cut, Copy, Paste, and Delete.
- Use unlimited Undo (and Redo) to go back any number of steps.
- Very fast editing of large files.
- Edit and mix an unlimited number of tracks.
- Use the Drawing tool to alter individual sample points.
- Fade the volume up or down smoothly with the Envelope tool.
- Change the pitch without altering the tempo, or vice-versa.
- Remove static, hiss, hum, or other constant background noises.
- Alter frequencies with Equalization, FFT Filter, and Bass Boost effects.
- Adjust volumes with Compressor, Amplify, and Normalize effects.
- Record and edit 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit (floating point) samples.
- Record at up to 96 kHz.
- Sample rates and formats are converted using high-quality resampling and dithering.
- Mix tracks with different sample rates or formats, and Audacity will convert them automatically in realtime.
- Add new effects with LADSPA plug-ins.
- Write new effects with the built-in Nyquist programming language.
Audacity can also record live audio through a microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings from cassette tapes, vinyl records, or mini-discs. With some sound cards, it can also capture streaming audio. In addition it can record from microphone, line input, or other sources and allows dubbing over existing tracks to create multi-track recordings.
Download Audacity Ver 1.2.6 installer (2.1 MB)
for Windows 2000, XP, and Vista / Also Mac OS X and Linux OS