Western Digital has recently launched Western Digital Caviar Black 1-TB SATA hard drive a 3.5-inch 1-terabyte (TB) (1000GB) hard drives aimed at wide range of enterprise and personal desktop computer users panting for mega storage capacity for their every growing digital content.
Western Digital Caviar Black 1-TB SATA hard drives combine a high performance electronics architecture with robust mechanical structure to deliver more reliable data storage solution on desktop, enterprise, consumer electronics and external hard drives. Cool drive operation, no-touch head technology, and unique vibration protection ensure enhanced reliability and sustained data throughput.
The new Western Digital Caviar Black 1000-GB SATA hard drive is the industry’s most advanced 3.5-inch desktop drive which is built with a fast Serial-ATA 3Gb/s NCQ interface employing a 32-MB buffer with 3-platter of 333-GB capacity each delivering a total of 940-GB formatted capacity.
Weighing about 0.7 kgs and with its dimensions of 101.6x 147x 25.4 (WxDxH) the Western Digital Caviar Black 1000-GB SATA hard drive is very similar to other drives in this segment from Hitachi and Seagate.
Equipped with vibration protection technology, the Western Digital Caviar Black 1-TB SATA hard drive offers upto 1TB (1000GB) of data storage capacity with 7,200-rpm speeds and average seek times of 8.5 ms.
Western Digital Caviar Black 1-TB SATA hard drive consumes 8.40W of power in comparison to Hitachi’s 1-TB hard drive which draws about 13.6W. In addition, the 1-TB hard drive has just 4 platters which results in cool operating temperatures and low-power consumption helping longer hard disk life with less chances for wear and tear.
Western Digital Caviar Black 1-TB SATA hard drive is equipped with WD’s StableTrac technology that secures the drive motor shaft of the drive which helps in reducing system-induced vibration and stabilizes the platters to help improve accuracy in read/write operations.
The new 1-TB hard drive also features WD’s NoTouch technology which prevents the recording heads of the hard drive from a direct touch to the media, eliminating stress and wear & tear on the hard drive in sustained operations and ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
Enhanced Data Protection
Western Digital Caviar Black 1-TB SATA hard drive is equipped with Data Lifeguard technology, which is an exclusive set of data protection features, including shock protection, an environmental protection system and real-time embedded error detection and repair.
WD’s Data Lifeguard technology automatically finds, isolates, and repairs problems that may develop over the life of a hard drive.
In addition WD’s Data Lifeguard Tools which are software utilities that works with the embedded Data Lifeguard features to make hard drive installation, diagnostics and repair simple and hassle-free.
WD’s ShockGuard technology instantaneously protects the hard drive against damage from bumps and vibrations while it is in operation.
Western Digital Caviar Black 1000-GB SATA Hard Drive Features
- 7,200 rpm rotation speed
- 32-MB Cache
- Second-generation perpendicular recording (PMR) technology
- Formatted Storage capacities of 1 TB (1000MB)
- Serial-ATA 3Gb/s NCQ interface
- 3 platters, 333-GB per platter
- 105MB/s sustained data rate
- Average Latency / seek time – 4.16 ms
- Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF, hours) 750,000
- Dimensions (H x L x W ) – 1.028 x 5.787 x 4.0 inch
- Weight – 0.7 Kgs
- 5-year limited warranty
The 1-TB Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive featuring 32-MB cache is available in India for Rs. 8,900 with one year warranty.
- Seagate Launches Savvio 10K.2 and Barracuda ES hard drives
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1-Terabyte Hard Disk Launched
- Transcend 192-GB Solid State Drive Launched
- Toshiba Launches Industry’s First 1.8-inch MKxx39GSL Series Hard Drives With LIF-SATA Connectors
- WD Launches ‘My Book Essential’, ‘My Passport Essential’ and ‘My Passport Essential SE’ Series Portable Hard Drives With USB 3.0
- Transcend StoreJet 25H3P 1TB Portable Hard Drive Launched in India
- HP Launches StorageWorks Ultrium 960 Data Backup Tape Drive Systems
- Iomega Launches Radical, Red Hot and Knock Out – Iomega Skin Branded Portable Hard Drives
- Toshiba Introduces ‘Art Series’ Portable Hard Drives; offer Complete System Backup and other Enhanced Features