Toshiba Storage Device Division has announced a new 2.5-inch 200GB HDD, MK2035GSS, based on Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) technology using only two hard-disk platters. Toshiba plans to start mass production of the drive in August 2006.
Toshiba’s second-generation PMR offering features the worlds highest areal density at 178.8 gigabits per square inch (277.1 Mb per square mm) and the highest-capacity drive on the market in the standard 9.5mm mobile PC format.
The new Toshiba 2.5-inch MK2035GSS HDD also boosts of data capacity that is 1.67 times more than Toshiba’s highest capacity conventional 2.5-inch drive.
The perpendicular recording stores data at a 90 degree angle to the disk’s surface (side-by-side) rather than parallel (end-to-end), resulting in effectively packking more data onto a platter. Besides, It provides up to a five-fold increase in storage capacity over earlier magnetic-recording techniques.
Other drive makers, including Hitachi and Seagate have turned to the technology to help keep disk-based storage capacities growing close to 750 GB. Seagate recently unveiled a monster PC hard drive with 750 GB of storage space that can hold some 25 DVDs, 50 hours of home video, 15,000 songs, 15,000 digital pictures, and 50 computer games, and still have 250 GB of free space left over.
Kazuyoshi Yamamori, Vice president of Storage Device Division at Toshiba Corp.’s Digital Media Network Company at lauch said, “We are delighted to announce the addition of this new 2.5-inch HDD to our line-up of perpendicular magnetic recording HDDs. Larger data capacity in a small form factor HDD is essential for continued advances in the notebook PC market and in personal audio and video applications.”
According to Toshiba’s press release, the 200GB dual-platter drive offers enough capacity for portable video recording and editing, gaming, music and other multimedia applications. The MK2035GSS weighs only 98 grams and features lower power consumption compared to the traditional 3.5-inch HDDs.
Toshiba’s 200GB HDD, MK2035GSS, provides mobile PC manufacturers the ideal combination of capacity and power to manufacture and market mobile PCs as a replacement for traditional desktop computers.
The MK2035GSS incorporates the Serial ATA (SATA) II interface and is ATA-7 compliant, supporting high transfer rates of up to 150 megabytes per second.
Key Features of MK2035GSS HDD
- 200GB capacity
- Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) combined with Tunnel agneto-resistive Recording (TMR) Head Technology
- Rotational Speed of 4,200 rpm
- 9.5mm High
- 12ms Average Seek Time
- ATA-7 Interface
- 150MB/sec Transfer Rate
- 8MB Buffer
- 300,000 MTTF Hours
- Weighs only 98 grams
- Serial ATA (SATA) II interface
Toshiba also said it will continue to enhance its HDD business by introducing differentiated drives in small form factors, and take implementation of perpendicular magnetic recording technology all the way through to its 0.85-inch drives.
- Toshiba Rolls Out MBF, Industry’s Highest-Capacity Small Form Factor Enterprise HDD
- Toshiba Launches Industry’s First 1.8-inch MKxx39GSL Series Hard Drives With LIF-SATA Connectors
- Toshiba Launches External Desktop Hard Drive; Offers 1TB/2TB Storage
- Hitachi Launches 160HB Travelstar 5K160 2.5-inch Mobile Hard Drives
- Toshiba Launches Camileo BW10 Waterproof Camcorder, Offers Full 1080p HD Video Recording
- Toshiba Unveils Qosmio G30 Notebook Powered by Intel Core Duo Processor
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1-Terabyte Hard Disk Launched
- Toshiba Introduces ‘Art Series’ Portable Hard Drives; offer Complete System Backup and other Enhanced Features
- Toshiba Satellite A100-P542 Widescreen Notebook PC