HCL Infosystems, a IT company, entered into a non-exclusive strategic agreement with Apple Computers to distribute Apple desktop computers and its hot selling portable digital musical gadget iPod in India.
HCL said it would provide compelete sales and service support for distribution of Apple iPods in India which will be available in the price range of Rs 4,000 to Rs 23,000 through its wast network of 1,000 HCL retail outlets across the country.
As of now, almost all Apple iPods in India have been sold by unorganised retail and grey market mostly in big cities.
Ajai Chowdhury, CEO and Chairman of HCL Infosystems, said “HCL plans to sell and distribute Apple Desktop computers for Education, media and Entertainment purposes.”
HCL Infosystems had similar kind of strategic agreements TOSHIBA for selling laptops and notebook PCs in India through its large regional distribution network.
HCL’s another similar exclusive agreement with mobile phone giant NOKIA for selling their mobile phones in India ended few months back. HCL continue to sell Nokia mobile phones though on non-exclusive terms.
HCL indicated that the iPod sold by company will come bundled with free content, service back up, and a warranty against theft and damage. HCL would also be shortly introducing iPod accessories in its distribution network.
HCL Infosystems chairman and CEO Ajai Chowdhry, at the lauch presentation said, “We would use our existing channel as well as set up a new distribution channel for selling Apple iPods. We plan to set up our own stores under the franchisee model as well as tie up with organization which are into retail to sell a whole bunch of lifestyle products.”
According to HCL, the company would soon be launching a new website, www.HCLLive.in, with over 25,000 tracks which can be legally downloaded to iPods, PCs, and phones on payment in Indian currency. The music downloads will be available for Rs 5 per song, company added.
HCL explained that the Apple iPod would be launched in a phased manner, the first phase would cover cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Pune.
- HCL Introduces HCL ME Topper & Junior Topper – Kids Educational Computer
- Apple Launches Redesigned iPod Shuffle Features New VoiceOver Button
- Apples Launches Apple TV Featuring 802.11N Wi-Fi Connecivity & HDMI Out Port
- Apple Revealed Most Popular iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad Apps for 2010
- Apple Introduces Redesigned iPod Nano; Offers Multi-Touch User Interface
- Apple Introduces New iPod Touch Featuring Apple’s Retina Display & Two Cameras
- Apple Sold Three Million iPads in 80 Days
- iPad Mini Hits Global Stores in 34 Countries
- Mi-2010 Dual-SIM Capable Mobile Phone Launched by Mi-Fone in India