Palm officially unveiled the forthcoming release of the Treo 700p on Monday, four months after the release of its first Windows smart phone. The new Treo 700p would offer broadband like speed on their laptop computers by using the new smartphone as a wireless modem via USB or Bluetooth wireless technology.
The Treo 700p can connect to EV-DO (evolution data-optimized) networks, which offer download speeds between 400Kbps and 700Kbps and will be available through both Sprint and Verizon Wireless.
Adding a fast data connection to the already efficient Palm OS platform speeds email, messaging and large attachment downloads, and dramatically enhances web browsing. The speed of EvDO also allows for an enjoyable experience when streaming multimedia content, and the Treo 700p smartphone ships with Palm’s first built-in streaming application.
The Treo 700p streams mobile content, such as live TV, movie clips and audio from radio stations, as well as training videos or company communications.
New Treo 700p has 128MB of memory, which should fix issues relating to the 650′s skimpy 32MB. By using SD memory cards, currently available with 2GB of storage (sold separately), in addition to the 60MB of dedicated user storage, users have plenty of room to download and carry important documents and multimedia content.
“With the rapid growth of next-generation networks and with burgeoning content becoming available, customers have soaring expectations for a high-quality mobile experience,” John Hartnett, senior vice president of worldwide sales and customer relations for Palm. “By delivering products like the Treo 700p, we will continue earning the loyalty of consumers, mobile professionals and businesses large and small.”
“The ease of use and application integration of Palm OS allows our customers to take advantage of business, personal productivity and entertainment applications that are great for work and play,” said Mark Bercow, senior vice president, business development, Palm, Inc. “With our Palm OS based Treo 700p smartphone, our users will have at their fingertips Palm’s hallmark phone and email experience in addition to the built-in Palm OS organizer with calendar, contacts, tasks and memos.”
In addition, the Treo 700p smartphone now includes a 1.3-megapixel camera and camcorder which offer upto four times the resolution of a standard VGA camera.
Plus it has the same pleasing industrial design and keyboard as the Windows Mobile-based Treo 700W.
Treo 700p also features a Bluetooth chip, which allows users of Bluetooth-equipped notebooks to connect to the Internet through their Treo with networking software included on a Treo.
Summary of Treo 700p features
- Power Vision EVDO support
- Superior phone functionality, including the ability to ignore a call with text messaging
- Leaner and much faster web browser from Blazer
- New voice-memo application, which could be used for adding voice annotations to photos or memos
- 128 MB memory
- 1.3 Megapixel digital camera
- Bluetooth, SD expansion slot
- Software: Sprint TV, On Demand, Streaming music
- Enhanced email and messaging by including better Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 ActiveSync support
- Full PDF support
- Full native support for Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Bluetooth DUN modem support
New opportunity for software developers
The Palm OS platform offers one of the largest third-party software catalogs having already over 29,000 Palm OS software titles available in market. This provides hardware manufacturers and software developers the opportunity to open up new business channels and broaden their reach into the smartphone and wireless device markets by providing users with customized Palm OS Powered smart mobile devices to fit their particular needs.
More information about the Palm Treo 700p smartphone can be found at www.palm.com/Treo700p.
- Palm TX Handheld Wireless Gadget
- LG Optimus 3D P920 Android Smartphone Unveiled at Mobile World Congress 2011
- LG Optimus 3D Smartphone Includes YouTube 3D Video Application
- i-mate SPL Smartphone
- Samsung Launches Palm-Size SP-H03 Pico Projector & Media Player
- LG GM730 Windows Mobile 6.1 Powered Touchscreen Smartphone Launched in India
- Acer Rolls Out Android Powered LIQUID Series High-Definition Smartphone in India
- Sony Ericsson P990i Smartphone
- Acer Announces Liquid ‘e’ Smartphone Powered by Latest Android 2.1 OS