Desktop and workstation hard drive capacity takes another giant stride, as Seagate has announced its brand new 750 GB hard disk drive. Called the Barracuda 7200.10, with its 750 GB capacity, the sneak unit represents one of the largest disk drive capacity ever from previous record of 500 GB.
PC World took it for a spin recently and says “it leads the 7200-rpm pack in overall performance”. Those of you who don’t do video or host servers, what the heck you going to load this thing up with?
Seagate’s new Barracuda 7200.10 is a Serial ATA drive and comes with either 8MB or 16MB on-board cache. As is the case with all of Seagate’s hard disk drives, the 7200.10 monster too comes with a 5-year limited warranty. Suggested retail price is widely believed to be US$559 and the drives are already shipping across to distributors.
Having first launched the new hard disk drive for PC market, Seagate plans to introduce a custom versions for other consumer electronics, such as digital video recorders that are growing in popularity as standalone set-top-boxes or part of cable and satellite television receivers.
The big capacity leap stems from “perpendicular recording” technology that allows drive makers like Seagate and its rivals boost the density of a disk by aligning bits of data vertically rather than conventional horizontally on a circular platter. This enables much higher transfer speeds without increasing the speed of the drive’s spindle. At the same time, fewer moving components are needed in the drives making the access much faster in addition to substantially enhancing durability.
Analysts say a 750-gigabyte drive could hold roughly 375 hours of standard-definition television programming, about 75 hours of high-definition video, or more than 10,000 music CDs converted to the MP3 digital audio format.
- Seagate Launches Savvio 10K.2 and Barracuda ES hard drives
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1-Terabyte Hard Disk Launched
- Seagate Introduces BlackArmor NAS 400 Customizable Network Storage Server
- Seagate BlackArmor PS110 USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Offers 5-GBps Data Transfer Speed
- Seagate Momentus XT 2.5-inch Solid State Hybrid Drive Launched
- Seagate GoFlex Slim 320GB Capacity Slimmest Ever External HDD Launched in India
- Seagate Unveils 10 New Data Storage Products In India
- Seagate Introduces ST1.3 Series, 1-inch Photo Hard Drives
- Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 3 Terabyte External Desktop Drive Launched